Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
gretsch

Powermax tillers

gretsch
Does anyone on here know who the manufacturer was for the AC and Simplicity tillers for the powermax lines? I just found a 1974 Sears 48" tiller that looks almost identical to the AC tiller that I had. The ID tag states Sears and gives the model number. It also has the owners and parts manual. It is the normal 3-point design unlike all other Sears versions I have seen which is a slanted 3-point design. It states on the manual that it will work with any tractor with 3-point hitch design and 2000 rpm pto. The pto shaft and spline design are also the same. Anyone else on here seen one of these things?

gretsch
Yes it does have the same slip-clutch design and gear box. If it did not have the ID tag on it I would never though "Sears". The only difference I can tell is that the pto spline shaft and universal joints do not have grease zerk fittings, however they are very free with no play at all in them. I know Wheelhorse and Ariens used 2000 rpm pto and standard Cat 0 3-point hitches but I had no idea Sears did. I can't help but wonder if the same manufacturer made them both.