Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Spencyg

More Hydraulic Power Conversation

Spencyg
I'd like to know how some of the bigger stock tractors gor their power for hydraulic lift? Did they run a pump seperate from the hydrostatic pump or were the hydrostatic pumps 2 stage? I think the only way I'm going to fit a 2nd hydraulic pump to power my implements and power lift is by running the pump under the existing center pulley PTO and driving the pump with that. There isn't a whole lot of room under there for modification...has anybody chopped their tractor in 2 pieces right ahead of the driver seat and lengthened it?? OK...thats crazy. Never mind. I just need to figure out how to get the DCV's, flow controls, hoses, and a reservior under there....doh!! Spence 197? Simplicity Sovereign 7016

thedaddycat
It's not as crazy as it sounds. The support plates I am working on could easily be made as a longer set to lengthen a tractor. Bear in mind that you would need to lengthen all the shafts, too. This would include drive shaft, clutch/brake rod, shifter, and for me the variable control.

HubbardRA
I ran a 3 speed in an AC716H chassis by making an adapter that bolted between the BGB and the frame to extend the tractor to the original wheelbase, since the 3 speed is 4 inches shorter than the hydro. I had to lengthen the driveshaft. This technique could be used on any of this type chassis, and built to the needed length. I would put the pump on the engine. Control valves can be mounted in various places and then connected to an actuation lever by a simple linkage. Or you can use electric solenoid valves as suggested by Dutch in another posting. It doesn't all have to be mounted in a single unit as the factory did it. Rod H.

Dutch
Lots of questions here………….. Larger equipment > Varies by make / model. As a real generalization, many use separate hydraulic pumps to power lifts and implements. Many are driven directly by the engine. Of those, many are direct coupled and driven directly from the front of the engine crankshaft. Older Allis / Simplicity tractors used a hydraulic pump driven by belt from a pulley between engine and driveshaft. Newer Allis / Simplicity tractors (with hydrostatic drive) tap into the hydrostatic pump for hydraulic power on a separate circuit. Adding a separate hydraulic pump to any garden tractor is limited only by your imagination, ability, wallet and if you want the tractor to appear and operate as original. At one time I started adding hydraulics (used a PS pump & manual valves), but abandoned the project because it was too “cobbled” and had very limited ability. I am still considering adding hydraulics, but want to do a professional job. I also want more flow than a PS pump can deliver. At this point, I know I want at least a minimum 16 GPM pump (probably 2 stage) so I can power a log splitter or hydraulic motors. I know I want “live” hydraulics, so the pump must be driven directly off the engine. I know I want at least 3 separate circuits so front, center, and rear lifts can be operated independently. I know I want solenoid valves so I don’t have a “mess” of hoses, valves, brackets, and levers hanging from the tractor. I’d like my modifications to be an enhancement rather then a detraction. I’d like to keep the tractor as original as possible, so I can use OEM implements (belts work just fine). Although it would be easy to drive a pump off the engine via a Lovejoy coupling, that would require sheet metal modifications and interfere with using front mounted implements. The reservoir is another consideration. A relatively small one will probably be okay for just cylinders (intermittent use, 2-way cylinders, little heat generation). That reservoir can probably be “tucked” under the hood or seat. If a larger reservoir, or cooler is needed (like for a constant duty log splitter, or post hole auger), that can probably be mounted with the attachment. Still thinking, designing, calculating………….I’d rather do it on paper first.

Dutch
Kirk, You are a true inspiration. I did it! Now have plenty of room for hydraulics. Even have a great place for a cup holder and dinner plate. Check out the RUNNING BOARDS...... I LOVE IT!!!!!!! But, I need your help. Can't reach the steering wheel or pedals.

Spencyg
I believe that the only way the onboard hydraulics could fit is if the physical dimensions of the tractor were increased. Going both Longer and Wider would be necessary to accomodate the increased onboard gear as well as the additional power necessary to drive all the hydraulics. I want to find a small diesel engine that could fit in the modified engine bay that could drive my hydrostatic transmission as well as a good 20+ gpm pump... then throw on some bigger tires and go to town:) Spence 197? Simplicity Sovereign 7016