Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Another painting tip

arjr111

My favorite little junker, did so much work for me this summer I needed to give her some new paint. I usually remove the wheels and mask them when I paint rims. These did not want to come off, and the masking tape did not want to stick. I used light cardboard and bent it in using the rim for support and lightly sprayed.....got pretty nice results....Art this is how I got it! my first paint job, AC orange! new paint, MM or prairie gold! not bad for a spray can, eh!

It's an old Montgomery Wards 7hp. For an older, not what you would normally consider a quality machine, (hard rubber tires) it runs real nice. It is all metal and seems to be put together fairly well. Which goes to show you even the (American made) junk was built better, back when...Art

I paint my wheels the same way but I cut up an old plastic 5 gallon bucket insted of using cardboard. It has a natural curve to it and it lasts forever.

That's what I totally appreciate about the people on this site, always willing to help each other. Simple little tips in "keep-it-simple-stupid". I like the plastic bucket approach. Was just ready to throw one away that had the bottom cracked. Guess I'll keep part of it now!!

any possibility this is a simplicity. i know for a while they made wards machines. this does have some similarity with my serf 515. don't know if simplicity made any tractors for other companies that didn't have a corresponding simplicity model, though.