Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Will these interchange??

IronPony

I'm still trying to talk myself in to rebuilding my first engine. As I have said before, I am new to this and just acquired a new model AC712S that needs to have its engine rebuilt or replaced. Saw a K321 block for sale. Will the K321 and my K301 interchange blocks? Will my stock tractor accept the K321 engine without alterations? Would be nice to have the extra hp. Thanks for the advice. Dan www.family-fishing.com

If the oil pan mounting ears, and the flywheel bolts are the same, then it should bolt right in. I have swapped several engines, even when these things were quite different, and still don't consider it to be a problem. I currently have a 14 Hp Kohler on my 61 Wards, which came with a 7.25 Hp B/S. I also have a 10 Hp B/S on my AC 716, which came with a 16 Hp Kohler. By next spring I hope to have a 14 Hp Kohler on both. That is the K321, it bolts directly to both machines unless it came from a Cub Cadet. They use a totally different oil pan setup and the holes in the flywheel are also different. I had a K301 from a Cub Cadet on my Wards for awhile before I got the K321. Had to make adapters for mounting engine to frame, and for mounting driveshaft to flywheel. Rod H.

If the K301 and the K321 are both "wide base" engines. All parts are interchangable between the two. Basically the only difference between the K301 and the K321 is the bore. Some pullers claim that the original carburetor on the 12hp (K301) has a 7/8" bore and the 14hp (K321) has a 15/16" bore but all internal parts are the same. My experience has shown 7/8" carb on all but the 18hp (K361). Older Cub Cadets used a "narrow" base engine to fit in their frame. Good Luck! Mike S.

Thanks to both of you that responded to my question on interchangability of the K301 and the K321. I thought they would interchange but was not aware of the two possible base sizes. Is the older cub cadet the only one that used the small base?? Thanks again - - Dan www.family-fishing.com

I believe the John Deere 140 (-family-- drive shaft to hydrostatic unit style tractors) also used the "narrow" non-flanged block. The "A" in the model number designates the narrow style block; ie K241AS, K321AS, etc. Tom(PK)

Ford also used Kohlers. The pan was welded to the frame. You cannot use that style block with other oil pans as the Ford pan bolted UP into the block with a narrow bolt pattern. I may be wrong, but I think all "K" series Kohler engines had the same crankshaft height above the mounting surface (when using the same oil style oil pan).