Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
EZDUZIT

Need help axle/bevel box "slop" 3212V

EZDUZIT
I have recently put a 10 hp briggs in my 1970 sovereign 3212V ,which we all know should have a 12hp,but couldnt find a 12 reasonable enough ,thanks to Vinnie-A.I came upon this 10hp,[runs fine Vinnie] bolted right up no shimming or anything. Here is a new problem,I did the bevel box done a few years ago,I had removed it and replaced it myself WHEW !!,well now there seems to be about an 1/8" to a 1/4"slop, front to rear in the bevel box and the rear axle.Makes a hell of a rattle I guess you call it,because it is sloppy at both ends I would think it belongs there,the slop or play I mean. Please someone, tell me Im right but what the hell is making all the racket,I will admit all the belts are old,but noise wasnt there befor motor swap.There is also a little play 1/8" so,left to right on bevel axle. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for being here ,I will continue to "wishful think" til I hear from some of you.I really dont want to pull that box again. Thank You, Pete.

JeffNemes
"1/8" to a 1/4"slop, front to rear in the bevel box and the rear axle" Could you expand on this? Is the bevel gear input shaft sliding back and forth or up and down? Or is it something else that is moving?

EZDUZIT
The shaft that the pulleys ride on are turning,now, a good 1/4 " or more clockwise and counter clockwise ,the shaft from the motor to box is good. Again I reiterate didnt have a noise at all til after motor swap. Box pretty noisey at this point . I think will have to pull it,unless someone has a better idea. I was just thinking ,what if the motor was a hair narrower then the one that came out,is it possible when I tightened up the shaft I could have pulled the inner shaft of the box forward ?I really hate to pull this thing. I really appreciate your help. Thank You, Pete.