Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What would you do?

KSever

I just picked up a 10HP Briggs to go in the Landlord. This engine has been sitting for about 10 years after the mounting ears broke off the bottom . This used to run a grain elevator. It looked dirty on the outside so after I got it home I looked in the gas tank and this thing looked like brand new, not one rust spot or any gunk inside. After seeing how clean this was I had to take off the oil pan to see the inside of this engine for any score marks on the cylinder or any visible wear marks at all and this also looks like a new engine inside. Not any visible wear marks that I can see and all the inside parts still have the paint markings on them, and shiny. Question Is? I was thinking I should put new rings and new seals/gaskets in this just to be on the safe side so it doesn't smoke and possibly a loss of compression. It does seem to have good compression since when I turn the crank by hand it wants to bounce back at me. What would you do? Change the rings or leave them and hope that it doesn't smoke after sitting 10 years?

Hi, I would just run it. Rings don't wear from setting. If there is no rust in the cylinder, there should be no reason to tear it a part. I believe if it ain't broke don't fix it. I would modify that, to be if it needs to be torn apart for some other reason, and the piston has to come out, I would never put the same rings back in. Then I would stick a hone in to break the glaze, then a GOOD HOT SOAP & WATER cylinder scrubbing and then new rings. My 2 cents worth and its free, value accordingly. Good Luck, Al Eden

Kris, I have had fantastic luck with old grain elevator engines. I have had several now and none of them have smoked or used oil, and all of them had sat for lengthy periods. I even found one in a scrap yard that I'm sure would have run great had the block not had a hole rusted completely through it at the exuast port from water sitting in the creases. (If anyone knows of a way to repair that I may go back and pick it up) Like Al said, "if it aint broke, don't fix it" Sam

Hey Kris. I agree with Al and Sam. I picked up a 3012 this summer that had sat in a barn for almost 10 years and all I had to do was rebuild the carb and polish up the flywheel. It starts and runs so smooth and no smoke. Try that before you tear it down. Larry If the women can't find you handsome.....at least let them find you handy! Red Green

I would probaly just put a new seal on the crank and run it. " Who cares if it burns oil that keeps the muffler from rusting out so fast!" At least that is what a old timer used to tell his customers. Ron Thomas #3

My 77 10 hp b&s (I think)sat in my grandfathers basement for at least that long . The paint was barely burned off near the ex valve. this engine has now seen 3 tractors runs like new doesn't smoke or use oil. I would say run it before making a final determination,you may be surprised! But don't forget to check the points, I had to clean mine to make it run. Just my 2 cents. reed s