Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Overheated hydraulic lift?

rickf

Enjoyed the fine weather to move a bunch of mulch around today (and give the kids rides in between) ... Anyway, I removed my tiller to attach the dump cart, and left the hydro lowered all the way (locked beneath the lower tab in the 'lower float position'). So after I parked the tractor (B112 with the hydraulic lift), I notice some 'steam' from under the hood, and see something dripping on the floor. Oil's coming out of the hydro lift unit somewhere, I didn't investigate too much, because the oil tank was hot enough to burn. Sorta reminded me of boiling brake fluid. So before I rip everything apart ( the hydo still seemed to work w/o a load) Any ideas? Or anyone else ever had a hydraulic lift unit get that hot? I imagined the float position just was a 'bypass' position and shouldn't have harmed anything by sitting there while I was driving around for an hour or so. How could the hydro have gotten soo HOT! Thanks, Rick

I'm not an expert on the AC hyrdraulic lift, but what I suspect happened is that since the lift was lowered or bottomed out and the valve left in the lowering position, the pump kept was pumping over the relief valve, I'm assuming they have one. Pumping the oil over a relief valve continuously for an extended period of time under pressure will definitely heat up the oil. That what I suspect happened.

Chances are, that the float tab on your hydraulic valve is out of adjustment. In effect, you were holding the valve in the "down" position, rather than in "float". There are many places for wear in the lift lever. At the chain link, where the lever is connected to the valve, where the lever goes through the quadrant, the rod that holds against the float tab, and the float tab. A small amount of wear, hardly noticeable, on each of these areas can throw the adjustment off. Pat