Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ac 314 ignition wiring

smokeyjoe37

I have an AC 314 that is missing the ignition switch. there are 4 wires. I can figure the 2 wires to run the starter but there are 2 wires that I don't know how and where to hook them up. one runs to the coil and the other runs to the regulator. I can't get the plug to fire. thanks amokey joe can anybody help me with an explanation or wiring diagram??

Thanks but this is for a 400 series I have a 314. I don't know how to get spark to the plug. I think the black and yellow wire are connected in the 'run' position on the ignition switch, but somehow there must be a way to connect the battery. bob

Did you ever think they might just be the same wireing Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

I am having the same problem.My engine does not have points so I am having problems finding the wiring diagram.I have figured out most of it.But still have no spark.Bob

I have an AC 310, and it didn't spark either, until I cleaned up the ground from the regulator to the engine. And I might just be able to tell you where those other two wires go.

Robert What tractor do you have? I might just have a wireing diagram for it. Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Maynard there are 4 wires hanging that I think are for the ignition 1. red to ammeter 2. yellow to regulator 3. blue spliced to brown to solenoid. (this had a seat interlock and it went bad so this bypasses the interlock) 4. black to coil If you have a wiring diagram I would really appreciate it. bob

Use the diagram I posted. It should be the same as your tractor As 300 series and 400 series were basicaly the same tractor as far as i can make out by the manuals I have with same engines Kohlers Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

The ignition switch hookup in the diagram posted by Maynard matches the wires you specified. This is the way it should be hooked up. Ther are only two basic ways to wire up these machines, with some minor variations. One way is for battery fired, ant the other is for a magneto. Since you have the magneto the one in the diagram will work. Rod H.

Rod, Maynard's wiring diagram appears to be for battery / coil ignition, not a magneto system. The 314 came OEM with a Kohler engine, so the diagram should be correct.

Dutch, It is nice to be wrong and right at the same time. Glad you caught my hurried mistake. I don't know the different numbered machines well enough to know which systems they have. Guess I didn't look at the whole drawing. Anyway thanks for the correction. Rod H.

Thanks to all that replied to my problem. My switch has 4 terminals B S G and one that is unmarked. the diagram shows 5 terminals A I B S and R. how would these be cross referenced? please see my earlier post about the color codes and connections of the wires. thanks bob

Bob, All switches are NOT created equal. The 4 terminal switch may or may NOT work on your tractor. If you don't want to buy, or can't get an OEM switch, you'll have to use a continuity tester, VOM, test light to determine if the switch you have will work. Disregard the color of the wires. As you can see from the diagram, there are 2 Reds and 2 Yellows with different functions. Trace (test) each wire and see were it goes.

this is just my opinionbut loking at the diagram,the red wire from ammeter would be batt pos(feed),yellow to reg which would be batt feed to charging system( since i don't own one these i can't be certain if this would be constant(key on) batt feed but would guess that it is.) Blue spliced to brown to sol- this should be only momentarily energized to activate starter.Black wire to coil should have constant batt power(key on). The wire that you seem to be missing would be another red wire that would feed accesories(lights, etc.) To figure out the wiring on the 4 term sw you will need a test light my guess would be b+ feed (red wire from ammeter)to b term and from there use the test light to find momentary feed to solenoid and constant feed to coil and reg. as previously stated 4 term may or may not work also not knowing if you have lights, etc could make a difference of course everything is trial and error and mostly error at that. Lastly I would make sure the sw body if it's metal, is isolated from any voltage. Finally if it were me I would jump coil + to batt + momentarily jump solenoid to b+( to activate starter) and see if i had fire in the hole. Sorry for the length of this post Good Luck and remember this is just my own opinoin ReedS ps jumping b+ to coil+ will work only if this an externally mounted coil style ign jumping b+ to a magneto ign would not be a good thing:(