Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

battery or something

ultimatehick

My 7116h wont start. Every time that i go to start it i always have to end up starting it with the battery charger. Once i run it for an hour i would think that it would think that it would charge up by then but when i shut it off and then go to start it right away it won't even turn over once. So i believe that i have a proublem with the charging system. I took the batter terminals off and cleaned them so that they are clean and when i put them back on i made sure that it was nice n clean and also snug. So now i am in a little pickle on what to do . hope that you guys can help me.

With the engine running at fast idle, battery reading should be about 13.5 volts (checked with a meter). If not, there is a charging problem. Is the battery good? Bad battery won't hold a charge.

Most places that sell batteries(Sears,WalMart,etc) will check your battery for free.Sounds like it's time for a load test.

ok i finally got my battery to hold a charge not sure how but it does hold a charge now. I checked my readings with the meter thing and when my tractor was on full throttle it would only put 12.5 volts out. I need help trying to figure out what is wrong with the machine bc it should be charging more. When i turn on my lights the meter only reads like 8 volts. needalot of help.

Hi, Dutch is correct. I wrote an article on Kohler charging systems, I have not explored the new site beyond the talking tractors discussion, but the articles are in the "Service" section I think. If you don't find it look at our web stite edensltd.com in the Tech Notes section it is also there. Good luck, Al Eden OOPS, I notice you said 7116, thats a Briggs. The system on this engine is very similar to the Kohler. Same concept and the numbers are in the same range.

With the battery dropping to 8 volts with just the lights on, that implies that you have a dead (or 2) cells. Lead-acid batteries are 2-volts per cell. If a known good battery is put under a "heavy load test" , the voltage should never drop below 9-10 volts (we're talking about a 100-300 amp load here). The lights only draw 5-10 amps max. Tom(PK)