Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
spt1

Collectibility???

spt1
Is a simplicity 7116 and a Bolens husky 1050 worthy of restoration? Insofar as bringing it to tractor shows. I don't want to be laughed at. I want to be different (and not get lost in a sea of green/yellow). Let me know your thoughts! Also looking for a tractor to use in pulls. What is a good donor tractor to use for garden tractor pulling? Thanks

MikeES
Both would be good tractors to restore. Of course most of here thing that the 7116 is more handsome than the Bolens. If your 7116 is a six-speed, or if it is a hydro, convert it to a 3-speed and you will have a tractor that is very competitive. We pull a 718 and a 917 and have gotten 1st place many times (in the top 3 90% of the time). I prefer the 900/7100 chassis, as it is a little longer wheel base. Otherwise 95% of the pullers are Cub Cadets. There are a few Wheel Horses, and a few Sims/AC. Good Luck! Mike S.

HubbardRA
Mike is right. The longer the wheelbase, the better. This is providing you can make the desired weight class. Without knowing your local rules, I can't tell you too much more. Since the rules vary significantly from one locality to another. I pulled for over 15 years with outlaw, NGTPA, and AGTPA, and the rules were constantly changing. Some places spec only tractor weight versus engine size, while others require the tractor to be completely stock with the original engine and don't allow additional weights to be added. Rod H.

Dutch
If your main interest is tractor shows and pulling, chances are many other owners will laugh at you and ridicule your 7116. If that bothers you, sell the 7116 to me. I don't care................ Fools mock what they do not understand.

arjr111
Hi Sean, here's a pic of my 1256, which looks like your 1050. Only difference is the 12HP engine and hydro trans......BTW, this resto job is done with a spray can, very inexpensive and it looked pretty raggedy to start......Good luck Art

HubbardRA
Good try Dutch! I'm right behind you, if you don't take it. Did you ever wonder why I have never posted a picture of my tractors? I don't want to be laughed at and ridiculed. Right!!! Does anyone really want to see a black and teal Allis Chalmers, or a maroon and black Wards? I think many of you will say that I'm not normal, and a picture would prove it. Rod H.

spt1
Appreciate the input guy's. Thanks. Although I am a simplicity man, there is something about the Bolens that strikes me as cool and the fact that it sets itself apart from the others with the high low and the variable diff lock. Will keep an eye out for another 7100 series for a puller. Anyone know any clubs or pulls in central jersey/eastern penndylvania? Thanks