Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Getting the spark back in my life!

My wonderful 3410H died last 2 months ago. My definition of died=would not start, even though it had spark, fuel, air and compression. At the time, I suspected a weak spark, but used the opportunity to rebuild the B&S 243431 engine. In the rebuild, I did replace the armature and condenser. The points were in great shape, and I cleaned and gapped them. After finishing the rebuild last night, I got a nice BLUE spark and was ready to roll. I made a test/break in run of the engine last night and it ran great. Today after work, I tried to fire the engine up, and all I got was a backfire after 2-3 revolutions. Upon checking the spark, I found that I have next to nothing. The spark will barely jump .050" intermittently, and the spark is barely there. After reading other posts, I am going to check the points, check the spark without the condenser, and make sure that the key is not sheared. I appreciate any and all advice on this issue. At this point, I am going to need a baling attachment to handle my lawn once the tractor is up and running. Ed S. III

powerking_one
Ed, I would suspect the flywheel key is partially sheared. If so, my guess would be that the flywheel nut was not torqued to spec (135 Ft/lbs I think). It's almost a two person job to get it that tight. Tom(PK)

HubbardRA
Nearly impossible to do with a torque wrench when working solo. I always use a box end wrench and a deadblow hammer. Of course, some folks say that I'm not normal. Rod H.

NLM
I'm also replacing the armature on my Briggs. There was a mouse nest in there and the armature was a rusted mess. I think I know where to attatch the insulated (low voltage) wire, but where does the bare copper wire go to? Also, is there anything else I should do in there before I replace the fan housing?

Roy
An impact wrench works great to tighten flywheel nuts. Just make sure you do not overtighten. One trick is to punch mark, or scribe, the nut and crankshaft before disassembly. The retighten until the marks align. The bare wire should be grounded to the engine block. The insulated wire should go to the points. My free advice. Value accordingly.

Roy