Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
KenK

Regulator adjustment

HubbardRA
Remove the cover from the voltage regulator, and make sure that you don't have a set of contacts that have arc welded themselves together. If you do, pry them apart and file the contacts smooth. Try it this way, it may save buying a new regulator. It has worked for me before. Also, on the bottum underneath the regulator is a trickle charge resistor. Make sure that is not shorted to the mount, or has not been replaced with a solid wire. This limits charge when the regulator switches to trickle. Rod H.

Dutch
You have what is known as a 3 pole regulator. Start by reading info here > http://www.simpletractors.com/service/electrics/electrical_systems.htm Best bet on adjustment procedures is to find an old (pre 1960) auto repair manual, or a Delco Remy manual.

JimDk
Ken, Here is how I adjust my regulator. Remove the cover without engine running to avoid shorting out anything accidently.The coil and point assembly on the end of regulator closest to you if you are standing on the right side of tractor controls the charging rate. Under that coil there is a small spring that controls the points.The spring tension can be adjusted by very carefully bending the tiny hook on the bottem of the points with tractor running (use small needle -nose pliers). It only takes a small adjustment to make a big difference.If my 63 year old memory serves me right you will need to bend the hook out to increase tension and open the points quicker but this is sort of a trial and error thing that you may have to repeat untill you are happy with the charging rate. 2 or 3 amps keep my battery charged if it is in good condition. Good luck, Jim

JohnnyRotten
Just went thru this on my b-112. After removing the regulater cover, you'll see small adjusting screws under each coil. With the engine running, and a volt meter hooked up, the outside coil (under the "f" terminal) can be adjusted to the proper voltage output with this screw. Amperage can be adjusted the same way using the screw under the center coil. Al Edens article (which Dutch refered to above is very good and explains a lot. Between that and Dutchs help, mine's charging like it should. John

Dutch
Ken, One other thing........ if you or the previous owner used the Simplicity repair manual, one of the wiring diagrams for the S/G is WRONG. It shows all 3 wires connected to the "A" terminal. The wire from the "F" terminal on the regulator gets connected to the "F" terminal on the S/G.