Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dav

changing flywheels

dav
I have a 243131 (that might be 243431 but the cover is pretty well scraped up) motor on my big ten. The flywheel is damaged from chipmunk debris so I picked up a 23D at the Brooklyn show for parts. Because I will be converting to a coil type ignition, I didn't worry that the flywheels dont look at all similar. They are both 10 1/4 inches across and have the same taper fit onto the crank. But.... The 243131 wheel is keyed to the crank whereas the 23D wheel has no keyway cut in it (although the crank did have a keyway slot). The 23D wheel has a funny little indicator that points to the area of the keyway. Where should the keyway indicator point to exactly? Or, since I dont care about magneto timing, does it even matter? Many thanks to JimV for taking the time to answer my questions and to explain the mag replacement. The first show I've been to and worth the 2 hour drive in the rain.

HubbardRA
Line the arrow up with the middle of the key slot. It doesn't matter to a battery ignition, but it could make a significant impact on engine balance. Some engines have some external balance added to the flywheel. I'm not sure on this one. Rod H.

ReedS
The older flywheels used a sheetmetal key that bolted to the flywheel and fit into the keyway on the crankshaft. I tend to agree w/Rod that balance might be an issue, maybe someone else has had some expierence with this. Also make very sure that flywheel nut is properly torqued(tightened) to avoid damage to crankshaft, a loose nut on the flywheel can allow flywheel to spin on shaft, not a good thing!!! Good Luck ReedS