Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How much would you offer?

KSever

One of my co-workers brought this picture of an Allis 314 in for me to see. And wanted to know if I wanted to buy this. But wanted me to make him an offer. It is not running and he says he doesn't know why but he's not too mechanically inclined either. What do you think would be a good offer to start at?

Kris The best place to start is to find out what he thinks its worth. What do you think it's worth? If you don't realy want it offer him $50.00 A tractor isn't worth anything if it's not used. Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

I've been reading alot about this model tractor tonight and see alot about these are rare tractors. Is there a reason that they are rare? Maybe they had problems that I don't want to get into?

Not much of a picture. Weathered tractor and weeds. As UCD said, offer him 50.00 sight unseen. If you are worried about offering him a fair price, go over there and pull it out of the weeds and take a look at what you would be getting. Anything short of that pot luck. Dan

Kris They were only made 1 year 1971 They were made by Allis Chalmers Not in the simplicty plant so they do not share alot in common with the other tractors. Attachments are specific to these tractors the AC 300 & 400 Series. The 400 series was made 2 years 1972/73. Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

I'm not up on Allis history, but isn't that one of the "orphans" that have the uniquely-sized attachments that don't fit the rest of the tribe, without mods? I would offer him a good home for the machine, and nothing more, except possibly a free mowing or two, once (if) it get's on it's feet. What does a landscaper charge to mow a lawn? (I wouldn't know, I'm too cheap). $100? $200? My neighbor has a landscaping svce, and his lot is less than an acre (maybe half) and he paid $4,000.00 for the year. Mow the guy's lawn and call it square.

Sounds like a good idea about mowing his yard as you see it does need it, But in the background it kinda looks big. Maynard,Dan I think I'm going to follow your advise and offer him $50 as it will probably need alot of work. Site unseen is very true. What can he say NO? He's already had an offer of $25 lol. It's about an hour away from me out west. Now if it was east I could stop and see Dan, LOL. Unfortunately, I am going to have to sell the Green/Yellow thing in the garage to help pay for this and to convince the wife I don't have enough tractors to work on in the winter time. Thanks again for your advise, Kris

Kris, Feel free to stop in any time your over my way. Just don't laugh at all the tractors taking over my garage. Its addicting. Not sure if I will make the Iowa show this weekend, my brother-in-law asked me to help him with some brick work for the footing on his house. Thats another bad habit I have, just can't say no. Let us know if you get it... might just be a diamond in the rough. Dan

Are these really that different than the B series? I got one in similar shape for $20, and it's sitting next to my B112. I bought it because it was worth it for the belt in the vari-drive. The rear from the bevel box back looks pretty darn close if not the same as the B112. Certainly the tiller will fit, the front attaching pins are wider, and there is no center PTO, but Still seems to me that a lot of the B series bits were moved into this guy... Of course I may change my tune when I actually start working on it! Rick

Hi Guys, I used to own a 310. it was a good machine but some of the parts were a little different. They made the 300 series in 70 and 71 then they made the 400 series in 72,73 and 7 all those machines were made in the split up years of AC & Simplicity. Simplicity and AC remerged in 75. That is why the AC 710 and the Simplicity 7010 are almost the same. All in all they aren't that rare Although a good cutting deck on one will fetch a nice price. I wouldn't give more than 50.00 for it if it doesn't run. Good luck with it Jim V.

Kris, I'd say the $50.00 offer is a good number as well. If you really don't need another project or the tractor, I'd suggest breaking her up and selling the parts via internet auction, garden tractor clubs, eBay etc. You'd probably more than make up for the $50.00 (should he take it). After all, Al Gore's information super highway has truely opened up a world market for us! Tom(PK)

One thing I hate is when someone says "make an offer".Why should I price something that YOU are selling? Tell me what you want for it.If it's a fair price,I'll pay it,or make a counter offer based on your price.More than once I've said "a dollar".People tend to get ticked when you do that,but it get's the point across. $50.00 doesn't seem to be too far out of line.I would ask why he quit using it.May be a hidden agenda waiting to be dealt with. kenny

Parts may be hard(er) to find, but I've adapted a 700 series tiller and snow thrower to my 410S. For $50, see if you can get the toilet and other junk. Your second pic shows something yellow behind the tractor. Is it a B series implement?

Wouldn't you know it. I offered him $50 and he said that sounded about right to him since his mom wouldn't know what else to do with it, he said he would have to tell his mom since it belonged to his past father. BUT, anyway it also comes with a tiller, grader blade, front blade, and mower deck. I don't think $50 was out of line since he didn't tell me what else came with it. But I didn't open my mouth to anymore money either after he told me what all it came with.

kris Ok where is our cut. Consultants fee. Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

dude SWEET Deal.... Once again .. Patience prevails. YEAY Tell the misses your only saving it for the parts (he he, yea, all of them). Good luck... Cheap Dave.

Kris, When you stop by don't forget to drop off the grader blade. Glad to hear about the implements. What a deal. Hey-therrees gold in them there weeds. Dan

Dan, I had to come home and look again at the pictures. I had to look real good but in the background to the left of the front there is a blade hitch painted yellow, I am used to Orange. lol