Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Bunky

Carb Repair or Replace

Bunky
I have a 3410S it has the original 10hp on it, It is hard to start and won't idle very good sometimes to get it to start I have to hold the throttle shaft shut. The throttle shaft is worn loose.. should I replace the bushings in the throttle shaft or replace the carb... ??????????

HubbardRA
A rebuild kit for a throttle shaft is a new shaft a bushing and a drill to make the hole for the bushing. These carbs did not have removable bushings from the factory. I bought one kit, then made my own for a second carb. Rod H.

Hoss
I rebuild a 16 HP briggs in a 7116 this summer and I replaced the carb. The welch plug was gone and the throttle shaft was worn really bad so being that I was rebuilding the internals I figured it was worth sticking the money into the carb. I don't know how long it was used with out the welch plug. The new OEM carb was $142.00. I didn't know about the shaft bushing kit. Is this a Briggs part number? I still have the old carb so I can consider rebuilding it for a spare.

HubbardRA
Hoss and automan, I may have spoken too soon in the earlier post. The carb kit that I got was for a Kohler. It came with the bushings for both the throttle shaft and choke shaft, the drill to enlarge the hole, and shafts to fit several carbs. I'm not sure that B/S sells a similar kit. I have a small lathe and made the bushing for the second carb that I did. I also had a shaft from the first kit that was left over, and I used it. Hoss, if you can get access to a lathe, you can make the plug that you need. If the shaft is worn, you may need to turn it slightly to be sure it is round and then make a bushing to fit. At the price of a new carb, this is worth doing. If I remember right, the Kohler kit was around $40. A lot of coin for a handful of pieces. Biggest problem with installing a bushing is removing the throttle plate, to get the shaft out. I broke both screws off when I did the last one. That is another reason for having a new shaft, so that you don't have to drill out those tiny screws. Fixes like this can save you significant money, but can also be a real pain. Rod H.

UCD
The screws in the throtle plate are peened so that they don't come lose and go into the engine. Solution is to take a small die grinder and grind the end of the screws and then they should back right out. Word to the wise when reinstalling do the same and peen or stake the screws. Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

HubbardRA
Maynard, My shaft-plate combo was totally stuck. I couldn't get to the back side. Only way I could get it apart was to break the screws. Since I always try to fix something instead of buying a new part, I am always working with junk. I bought the engine this way. When I was building engines for tractor pulling, I would thin the heads of the screws, and align the slots with the direction of airflow to give max flow. I always staked the screws when finished. Rod H.

BigSix
Bunky: You can get a shaft and bushings for a Briggs carb. Recently I bought a couple carb kits from SLI (They're just great over there!), for a 10 Hp. Landlord. The kit is approx. $20.00, but does not include the shaft and bushings. I believe the shaft was about $10., and the bushings (2) were under $4. each. I don't think I have to drill the throttle shaft bore...I think there's bushings that press out, but I haven't actually gotten to that project, either. Hmmm. Peter