Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Is this an ignition switch problem?

hufhouse

This might seem obvious, but I don't want to "assume" I have a problem figured out only to find out that I overlooked something else. Over the summer, my tractor would sometimes not turn over when I turn the key. I would turn the key back to "off", then turn it again and it would almost always start. The past three times I have used the mower, this problem has gotten progressively worse. Now: - I have to turn the key several times to engage the starter. - When the mower doesn't start right away, and I stop holding the key in the start position, the starter continues to try to turn the motor over. Kind of like a ghost is still holding the key! - When I am mowing, the tractor will suddenly turn off. I have found that I can sometimes get it to stay on by jiggling the ignition key firmly. - Sometimes when it is about to die, I can get it to come back to life by shifting to neutral quickly. As soon as I engage the interlock switch, it comes back to life. - Sometimes I have problems starting the mower. It will turn over for a long time before starting when it's cold. Other times, it starts like a charm when it's cold. This would be a really convenient time to replace the ignition switch, because my headlight switch just broke on me! I was going to replace IT anyway. However, I was concerned that it might be the transmission interlock, but I can't see how that could be since I've been having problems with weird stuff when I am starting. Do you think a new ignition switch will solve my problem?

Guy If you haven't all ready done so I would check and clean all of the electrical contacts and be sure they are all tight. You can check your safty interlocks by jumpering around them. You could just spend the money and buy all new safty locks and a new Ignition switch. Which might fix the problem but you will never know if it was just a bad connection unless you still have a problem in which case you wasted your money. Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Sounds like it could be the switch (or a loose or corroded switch plug). Check it with a test light while replacing the headlight switch.

I would trace each line as it comes off the ignition switch. Look for worn and frayed wire that may be contacting other wires or the machine. If they all look solid I would check contact points and clean as advised by Maynard. You can usually see if the ignition switch itself is bad by examining the contacts and checking for corrosion and looseness.......Art

I just went through a similar situation with my father's wheel horse. Checked the simple things first. I thought it was the fuse holder that fed 12V to the switch. Checked all interlocks and all wiring harness...it was the fuse holder. Contacts has melted into plastic and didn't make good contact with fuse. In your case, sound like it may be the switch as wiggling it seems to keep things going.

do NOT continue to run like this!!!!! I had the same problems (see earlier posts) Needed NEW IGNITION SWITCH, BLACK PLASTIC PLUG, WIRE END BURNED,CIRCUT BREAKER FIRED!!!!!!!! switch was around $30.00 and breaker was $10.00

I had the chance to tear into things a little bit last night, and I'm pretty sure it's the ignition switch and the plug to the switch like "JCS" said. The switch was very corroded, and there was some blackened bare wires sticking out the back of the plug. It was all in pretty bad shape. I got everything I need today to fix it all up. Now, I'm just hoping it rains all day tomorrow so I have an excuse to spend time in the garage! PS. Sorry about the size of the pictures. That's the first time I tried posting a picture. "Paint" said the pictures were only about 2" x 2"!!

Guy Nothing wrong with the size of the pictures. They show good detail. When you post pictures put a space line between your commands Like This Click on your edit button in your post and check how i did it. the pictures line up under each other rather than side by side. makes for easier viewing. [Img][/Img] [Img][/Img] Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Guy: Even before you mentioned your pics, I was noticing how clearly your fingerprints were depicted. I read an article saying "identity theft" is going to become a felony offense, so perhaps that's where I got the idea, but if more of your finger was showing, I bet someone could copy it, and use it to fake your fingerprints, if they had a way to print them onto a rubber stamp. While it seems farfetched now, I bet the day will come, not far into the future, when we will be cautioned not to digitize our prints in this manner. And you heard it here first.... (Why yes, I do read "thriller" novels--why do you ask? LoL!) Peter

I replaced the ignition switch today. (I also installed brand new Splitfire plugs because everyone on this site raves over them so much!) My local dealer also had a new ignition switch plug with about 12" of wire sticking out so I could cut the old wires and just solder on the new plug. Anyway, I took the tractor outside to start it up, just in case I did something wrong and it exploded. I don't think it turned over two times before it started! Wow! It has never done that in the five months I've owned it. Unfortunately, I probably won't be using the tractor much anymore because I've been forced to cut off my fingers and move into the Federal Witness Protection Program thanks to BigSix! BTW...I also replaced the headlight switch with one that I bought at Autozone. I tried it out right after I started the mower and it fell apart in my hand. I think I'm going to take it back and go get a good switch at a NAPA store or a better hardware store. Oh well.