Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

landlord project

tanman722001

Hi, I was think of building a Landlord with two motor on it , I know i have to make the frame longer and the hood. But I think it would be neat to do.What do you all think about it? Thanks Tony

Trying to imagine what it would look like.......when its finished you might be able to get them to use it in "The Waterboy II" the sequel when he's rich and famous and drives an extended GT ......Art

LOL Dutch, would have been alot easier without the running boards. But you would have to move the foot pegs back also. Just need to add a seat and whalla. Limo tractor

Tony, If you do this, just don't bolt the two crankshafts solidly together. The have to be perfectly in alignment and perfectly synchronized if bolted solid, otherwise the vibrations will break a crank. Afriend of mine found out the hard way. Use a flex coupling of some type between them to isolate the vibrations. It is also good to synchronize them so that one is on the compression stroke when the other is exhaust stroke. This makes for smoother operation. Rod H.

Hi Rod, Thanks for the help. I'm hoping to start my project this winter.i think im going to need all the help i can get. I'm going to build this just to show.I think it will turn some heads when i get it done.i need some measurement to get started. And Powerking what do you us to start it ?Will the starter/gen start both engines? Thanks Tony

Tony, Use two starter-generators with two solenoids, connected to a single ignition switch. Will also need an automobile battery. Rod H.

Tony, It's not my tractor. I took the pic at the Arcadia, MD show last month. The owner DID solid couple the engines together and had the engine timed at 360 degrees (not 180 or 540) apart. I sounded really cool, very similar to a Wisconsin THD twin. He just used the rope starter on the BGB, and was very easy to pull start. I'd think one S/G and battery would still crank it. You will need a double pole cutoff/ignition switch to isolate the coils. Good luck with Frankenstein, Tom(PK)

Good timing on two engine setup. This just appeared on e-Bay. Think I would use a timing pulley/belt setup to synchronize the engines, though. As to a double pole switch to isolate the ignition coils, that is one option. I don't know about other brands, but Briggs has wiring harness on the V-twins that includes diodes to isolate the coils, allowing the standard ignition switch. Installing that harness between the engine coils of two seperate engines should work as well. Depending on the type of coils on the engines used, it would be a matter of plugging the harness onto the coils, or splicing it into the armature ground wire between the two engines. Pat

Pat You beat me to it. It is the right colors but a 5 letter tractor All it needs is a little sheet metal change [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1773082423[/url] Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

I don't think that will be necessary Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

I have not experience with this, but I would think if the engines are phased so that one is on compression while one is on exhaust, that a single S/G would start it, as it won't be fighting two compression strokes. My .02

Relative to Tom's comment about the ignition switch. It depends on which type of ignition the engine has that you are planning to use. The two ignitions can be fed by the same power wire and do not require a two pole ignition switch if they are battery ignition(older Kohlers), since the trigger (points) is in the ground leg of the circuit. If you have a magneto, then the switch grounds (shorts) the circuit to kill the magnetos. The magneto type (most B/S) needs the two pole to prevent one magneto from damaging the other when the switch is not shorted. In addition to the power to compress the fuel on the engine, you are also spinning the mass of two sets of cranks, rods, and pistons, along with two flywheels. I have trouble starting my single 10 Hp B/S with the starter generator, since the easy spin bump has been removed from the camshaft. It likes to burn up belts. Rod H.