Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dang the luck...

Kent

I've been out of town until late last night, so I took off early from work to mow the lawn and vac up the leaves. The lawn hadn't been mowed in almost 2 weeks and no leaves had been picked up yet.... I got the front and side finished and made two rounds in the back, when I blew the BGB on my hybrid HB-216... The high-style vac cart was about 1/2 full of heavy grass/damp leaves, and I was climbing a slope when it started making noise. I thought I'd "discovered" a dead maple limb hidden in the leaves, so I quickly disengaged the deck/vac, thinking I could make it to the top of the slope. But, it stopped moving entirely, and makes a lot of noise.... Took the Big Ten and pulled it into the barn. A quick inspection, after removing the vac shows that the BGB is gone. Seems like it may be the input shaft/gear, since the cross-shaft still seems pretty tight in the case. I guess tomorrow night I start yanking the steering wheel, dashboard, etc, and start pulling it out.... Of course it does this when I really need to use it for leaf removal.... kind of like breaking a snowblower just in the middle of snowy season.... Kent The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

That IS an awful sound to hear isn't it? It actually sounds even more interesting when the coupler at the gear box shatters and the loose end of the driveshaft starts Whizzin' around at 3500 RPM banging into everything.....kinda gets yor attention with all that racket goin on right there close to home between your legs That's the one thing I liked most about my Wheel Horses, only a belt and idler pulley between the engine and tranny. 15 minute repair tops. My best time so far on a bevel gear box is about 2 1/2 hours or so.

Dutch, It was a 7016H BGB with a cone clutch... If I could locate a good used one, that would probably be the fastest way to get it back in service. Kent The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Kent, Like I said, I don't have anything right now or you'd be welcome to it. Maybe some others members can help to pay back some of what you do for us.

Well, If I had one I'd mail it right out too, but all I have would be parts boxes. If you rebuild and need gears I have them, as well as some new needle bearings. Used my spare input shaft so I don't have one of those either. Just give the word............ Sam

Yes, I'm still interested in a good used BGB. I decided the fastest way to get a tractor/mower in service was to fix up an old 42" deck to use with the Big Ten. I'm using a 48" deck now on the HB-216.... Hopefully by the time the weekend is over, I'll have a usable 42" setup... then I can take my time with the HB-216. I still have bodywork to do on it, anyway, as a result of the recent runaway... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

The box in PA is out of a 7016H for what it's worth. They promised to check it out on Monday. The price could be as high as $125. I negotiate but I know for sure you don't like to do that so.... If you like I'll negotiate for you.

Woody, That would be great! Could you see what kind of deal you can make for it? Thanks! Kent The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Yes, this is for my hybrid "HB-216". I have about 3 good used BGBs from older 3-speed tractors, but no "spares" for this one... Makes sense, right? The one you use the most, you have the fewest spare parts for? The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Kent, Your 7016H BGB is ready. Call 610-367-2078 ask for Tim, mention my name (only because I asked for the BGB) and make arrangements for delivery. BGB will cost $125. plus shipping (minimal). They had to pull three to get this one.