Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Stuck Rim

lsenus

I decided to get some new rubber for my 6116. It cam in quick enough from CR tire and not to bad on the price either. Well, Wed. night I get the tractor up on stands and pull 3 of 4 rims off. The fourth won't budge. It figures it was the last one I tried to remove. It's the LR rim on the 3sp manual trans with the keyed axle and rim. Any ideas on how to get it off? I've got the trans out of the tractor, complete with rim still on the axle.

Leo, hope this helps. Just about anything thats happened to you, has already happened to someone else. Try using the search function on this site.... http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7277 There are some ideas here. Click on the link above. Good luck to ya. Doug

Leo, About 3 to 4 inches from the wheel put two pair of vice grips opposite of each other clinched not very tight to the axle. This works as a "heat sink" and keeps heat from travelling down the axle. Heat the hub of the wheel of both sides with acetylene torch. Get hot but not "red-hot". Apply water to both sides of wheel so it cools rather quickly. This breaks the rust that has clinched it. It should come right off then. If it doesn't , then apply WD-40 or other rust buster product and leave it for a day. It should then come off.. After you get it apart, heat the axle up again where and if it shows heat marks and dip it in motor oil. This will retemper or reharden it again. When you put it back together use "grafite" grease as advised above. Some may advise against this procecure but, I haven't broken an axle in many years after using this method. M. Kerr

Oh i forgot..... The maintenence guys at my work use a product called "zep", they claim its the best penetrant theyve used. It comes in a black spray can with yellow lettering...hey just a suggestion. Doug

Leo, I have had good luck with using a small LP bottle gas torch and penetrating oil that has a high parafin content. An old time mechanic told me that years ago all they used was parafin wax and some heat. I heat the part with the LP torch, remove and shut off the torch and spray the part with penetrating oil and let it sit for a bit. It seems the heat helps draw the penetrating oil into the rust. I sometimes have to wipe the oil off and repeat this process once or twice more but have had good results over the years. Just make shure not to spray the oil at anytime you have the torch lit!!!!!! I have a big torch also but the lower heat of the LP torch will not wreck things such as seals and heat treated parts near as fast. My 2 cents worth, Mike

Well, here's the update... I tried heating the rim with a torch - no luck. Then I tried the heat with the penetrating oil, still no go. Now I'm stumped, or stupid, most likely stupid 'cause now I use a bottle jack on the inside of the rim between the rim and case. I apply a little heat and the rim starts to move. OK so now I' psyched! Then a little more presure with the jack and BANG! The trans case breaks around the left axle. I mean it BROKE! It went through the webbing and everything. So, if anyone out there has a 3 speed HD trans for a 1979 6116 (1690422) tractor they're not using, let's make a deal.

There's a 6118 for sale in the want ads. For Sale [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/classDetail.asp?id=1566[/url]

Unless you absolutely have to get the wheel off of the axle, you can change the tire the way it is. I have done this before when I didn't want to spend the time getting the wheel off. Rod H.

The 6118 mentioned above is mine. It's supposedly been sold on EBay,but the buyer hasn't picked it up yet. I'll let you know if I still have it in a few days. kenny L

Goatfarmer, I really do appreciate the offer for the sale, but IL is a little far from NJ for pick up. Anything more than a tank of fuel... well you know. I wonder what the shipping would be on something like that though??? Any one within 3 1/2 -4 hours from NJ, let's make a deal. Listen to me, I sound like Monty Hall. There, now I've dated myself.

Since 3 1/2 - 4 hours is OK read this other post. Remember to call first. You can't walk around looking. They'll check it out and have it ready for pickup or will ship to you. Ray's Mower Shop [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10107[/url]

I checked his website, but no luck. I was planning on calling him in a little while. Maybe I shouldn't have tried to change the tires, huh?

I never thought of welding cast iron. Hmmmm. There's a few shops near me that might be able to do it. Jeff Nemes says he has some case halves for that trans, but no complete units. I may go the route of getting a new case half and left axle and rim.

If all else fails, cut the wheel off and replace it. You will need it off to remove the axle to put the new case half in anyhow, won't you? Or if axles are cheaper cut it then press the stub out of the wheel. Just thoughts on alternate methods.

Leo Will this work [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/classDetail.asp?id=1976[/url] Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

I tried splitting the case halves last night. It appears that the left case half slides over the axle shaft, so with the rim in the way..no dice. I think it's time for the cutting torch. Good bye axle. John Suprono here in the club may have what I need as far as the trans goes. He's going to take a closer look at it later.

• 4 weeks later...
Well here's the update: When we last left our story of "As the rim turns"... I ended up cutting the left axle off, after finding out from J. Suprono here on the site that he has another trans for me, and getting the case halves seperated. I then went to CT. and got the "new" trans from John and soon discovered to my dismay that the RIGHT rim on the "new" trans won't come off. So, now it's off to my buddy's house who has a 20 ton shop press. Well, 20 tons wasn't enough. We had to disassemble the trans, cut the rim, and then it came off the axle. It took both of us to disassemble the ring gear assembly in the trans because the bolts kept spinning. So now it's time to take off the right axle tube and get the right axle out off the "old trans" and then slide the rinbg gear section out so I can get to the bolt heads on the backside of the ring. What I found nearly horrofied me. It appears that the needle bearing set at the end of the tube had locked up and ground a grove in the axle. Well fortunately I have 2 good axles because Simplicity no longer makes either one. I have finally gotten all the bearings, washers, seals, etc. to do a rebuild on this little guy. After I find a machinist to duplicate the 2 axles so I have spares.

My wonderboy 700 had some wear like that so I turned it down a little farther and had a freind Spray Weld it.I did have to set up the Du all grinder in the lathe to grind it down but seems to be working for 3 years now.Good luck on the project sounds like you havent had any yet.Bob

Oh I've had plenty of luck. Problem is it's all been bad! All this just because I wanted to put new tires on to replace the 24 yr. old ones!