Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
hufhouse

Funny noise.

hufhouse
On another post, I talked about just replacing my ignition switch on my 7117 and it solved a multitude of problems...except for one. The starter or engine makes a funny noise just as the engine is starting up. When I turn the key, the starter turns over the engine just fine. At the very moment the engine is firing up, something out there sort of "barks." It just doesn't sound normal! This is a relatively new problem, but was happening before I replaced the switch. Does anyone recognize this? Can anyone tell me what's causing it and whether it indicates something is failing?

UCD
Guy Just like the family dog it is barking at you because it is glad to see you. All joking aside Hard to tell with out actualy hearing it my self. Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Al
Hi, I suspect the noise is caused by the drive retracting. If the armature shaft gets dry and some grime on it, the drive does not "spin' on the shaft as it retracts. The engine is spinning the drive faster than the shaft and causes it to retract. What happens is the drive has some wear on it and instead of slipping it rolls around the shaft like a planetary gear around a ring gear in a planetary. There is not all that much clearance, but this rolling action makes the gear vibrate creating the noise. It is fairly common and pulling the starter and cleaning the drive and shaft, then lubing it with dry graphite will probably fix it for quite a while. Also be aware that there is a slip clutch in these drives. The gears have a rubber liner inside behind them and the helix has a flange on it. A washer goes on the back and is crimped in. When you look at one of the drives you can see how it works. If the armature is held and a channel lock is used to turn the gear you can how good it is. As long as it cranks the tractor it is fine. If it gets to the point you can hear the starter slipping and not cranking well, the drive clutch is probably bad. The purpose is to absorb the shock load when the starter engages and hits the end stop. Without this the shocks would be much more likely to break the armature shaft. Good luck, Al Eden