Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

K301 re assembly

upstatemike

My son pulled the crank out of the K301s without noting the alignment of the counterbalance weights/gears. Should they be opposite the stroke when assembling?? I haven't stumbled into any diagrams/pics. MJDonnelly

If you want to reinstall them, Kohler sells a tool to make it easier. In the KSeries manual, available at any Kohler Dealer or online, it shows you both ways to do it (with and without the tool). My preference is to keep them out as the risk of them destroying the block is greater than any vibration difference you might see/feel. Kohler eventually did away with them too. My .02. Kenny

Mike, Since you posted the same question down below in the "How Do I?" forum, I deleted it there, and left this one... Hope this one works for you... Kent The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Thanks, Kent. After I posted in the "How do I?" section, I read a little further and discovered that was the wrong section. This is a great site. I've been a Wheel Horse fan for years and owned many old ones, but stumbled on an ad in the local paper for a $50 Allis-Chalmers. The guy said it was complete but didn't know what was wrong with it. I wasn't familiar with the brand but bought it anyway after doing a little research and seeing the quality and following. I had run into Simplicity over the years but didn't know the affiliation with Allis. It's a 712 Hydro with a busted rod. Had the crank turned and got an undersized rod and am assembling today w/ my 11 yr old son who happens to be a pretty good tinkerer. Once again, great site. Thanks... MJDonnelly