Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need New Tires for Simp. Trailer

BigSix

Anyone: I know this has been covered, but I can justify (to me, at any rate) asking again, b/c maybe the vendors have changed? Where can I buy (at the best price) a tire of Carlisle-like quality for my Simplicity trailer (from the late sixties, I'm guessing--1,000 lb. capacity) that has the Cessna-like original-looking ribbed tread? My tire connection says I will have to go w/ a turf-style tread--blech! Thanks, Peter Oops! Kent: I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Where did the "delete" option go? I would have reposted it properly, but I am unable to figure out how to delete it? What am I missing?

Peter, Are you looking for a multi rib turf style tire, or a tractor type tri-rib. I have also seen tires with automotive style tread. Could you post a picture of what you are looking for? Most items can be purchased if you have enough money. I have contacts with several tire shops through my tractor pulling, and my son-in-law who works for a tire shop. I have 4.80 x 7 tires on 5 spoke aluminum wheels with a tread that looks like an automobile tread from the 1950s, that are mounted on the front of my 61 Wards. What Is the size that you need? Rod H.

Peter, The tires you're looking for are wheelbarrow tires. Don't know how "original" you want to stay, but I bought new tires/wheels already mounted from Northern Tool for about as cheap as I could buy just the tires alone locally. This saved the hassles of mounting them, or cleaning/painting the old ones. They're a narrower wheel than the originals, so I added a spacer on the axle behind them. Here's a link to the tire only at $6.99 each: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/LLCategoryDisplayView?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=523777&categoryId=0a Here's a link to the tire mounted on a new wheel, with bearings, at $14.99 each: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/LLCategoryDisplayView?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=523681&categoryId=0 Mine are rated at 450 or 500 lbs, I think, but I've hauled loads of building stone, slightly heaped, on mine with no problems -- just make sure the tire pressure is right. Just a thought... Kent The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

I used wheelbarrow tires and wheels purchased at the local Menards on my Simplicity dump cart. I had to modify the hub a bit,but it worked out great. kenny L

Guys: That's good advice, and if I hadn't already stripped the orignal Simplicity wheels and primed them, (they're hanging, waiting for me to get busy and spray them) I'd probably go with the wheel barrow tires and wheels. I'm sure they'd be fine, expecially if they can handle 500lbs. each, as the trailer is only rated for 1,000 lb. However, I looked inside the original wheels, and liked the huge (2-3" long, large diameter) roller bearings embedded in the original hubs, psyched myself into cleaning them up, so I kinda gotta use 'em, now. Rod, I can't post a pic because I lack the technology, and actually, I don't even have the tire size handy--the tires were rags when I got the trailer--literally, in that the previous owner had stuffed rags into the splits in the tires, duct taped over it and, well, I cut them off w/ the grinder. Something told me not to chuck them--duh! Like maybe the fact that I never wrote the size down. I will do so, however--at least one tire is still around. Kent, thanks for the link. At those prices, I could buy them and give the wheels away, just use the tires. I would like the style of whatever was original, which was apparently a ribbed, front ag-style tire--could have been three ribs, but I'm not sure. Anything ribbed would be okay. I'll check out those links when I get the size in hand. Thanks all, Peter

Peter: I had the same problem with tires on an old simplicity cart. The local wal-mart here had Carlisle wheelbarrow tires which look just like the originals from the cart. They had tires mounted on rims but also had just the tires ($6 or $8 each) and I went that direction and mounted the tires on the original rims after cleaning priming and repainting the old rims. Great results to me and the only difference from the original tires is the brand on the side of the tire. (old tires were Schenuit as I recall) The tires have a rounded profile and the tread lines run straight around the tire perpendicular to the axle.(typically this is the tread of the wheelbarrow tires I have seen) Casey

Casey: Thank you! My friend has two brothers in the tire business, and they're the ones that told me I couldn't get a good brand like Carlisle for less than $25.00 per tire, then it turns out that allegedly, Carlisle has no ribbed designs anymore anyway, in that application. They told me, "Oh, w/ cheap tires, they'll dryrot sooner." Well, maybe, but apparently other members are doing okay without a $25.00 tire, so I can too. At the prices you mention, (and with no rim to have to dismount them from, and no shipping charges) you just sold me. (I think the old ones were named Schenuit, so that leads me to believe they were the originals). Thanks again. Peter