Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RonRobinson

3410 S engine swap project

HubbardRA
Ron, I have a 61 Wards (Simplicity) that originally had a 7.25 Hp B/S engine and now has a 14 Hp Kohler. Is that enough change for you? What you have to look at is: 1. Does the engine bolt directly on the tractor like the other one, or do I have to make some modifications, such as the oil drain? 2. What spacers, adapters will be necessary to hook up the driveshaft? 3. How will the fuel feed? Will the gas tank be high enough for gravity feed or will I have to add a fuel pump? I have an engine that run out of fuel with 2 inches left in the tank. 4. If the engine is not off of a Simplicity or AC, then what will have to be done to make the throttle hook up. I have one that requires that the throttle come in from the grill side of the engine, instead of from the rear. Needed a long cable to circle the engine. 5. Will the new engine interfere with re-mounting the sheet metal (hood & grille)? Rod H.

goatfarmer
I replaced the original cast iron 10 hp Briggs in my 3410 with a newer Briggs 11 HP purchased from EBay. I had to drill a few new holes in the frame,and get some spacers to bring the new engine up to the height of the old one. Had to buy a new regulator,since the new engine had an internal alternator. A few changes in the wiring,but was able to use the original switch and starter solenoid. Everything else was pretty much straight forward. I used the driveshaft hub and pulley from the old engine on the new one.A little tricky to get it spaced properly,and to get it to run true.but nothing the average person can't figure out. kenny L

Kent
Assuming that it is a Briggs 10HP that you're replacing, you can bolt an 11 -16 HP Briggs cast iron engine in with no problems. I replaced the 10HP 243431 in my B-210 with a 30-over 16HP single-cylinder -- what a difference, especially since it's now a "power-robbing" hydro too.... You may have to modify the wiring slightly to accomodate the difference between starter/generator and newer-style gear-driven starter and flywheel alternator -- but that will depend on the replacement engine. Otherwise, all the cables, hoses, etc., will fit as is.... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...