Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Squealing when parking brake is released

In the beginning of the summer I purchased a new Simplicity Regent; 14/38 hydro. I have been very pleased with
it. However, last night, after mowing about 15 minutes, a noticeable squealing sound began coming from under the
tractor. I disengaged the PTO, but the squealing continued until I engaged the parking brake. That caused the
squealing to stop, but it resumes as soon as I release the parking brake. I tried engaging/releasing the brake a
number of times, at various engine speeds, but the squeal always returns. For fear of damaging something
(further?), I shut the mower off (and finished the lawn by hand!). Any ideas what the cause of the squeal might be,
and/or remedies for it?

Do you actually have to lock the the pedal down to make the squeal go away or will it also go away as soon as you push the brake pedal down without engaging the park control?

If you have been hosing off the unit you may have frozen up an idler pulley.

Hi,
I agree with Jeff. Lock the pedal down to release the belt and then "spin" the idler pulleys to see if they sound quiet. Next i would check and see if any "belt guides" are touching any pulleys or the belt when it is tight. [park brake released] Third if this is pree 99 tractor and has a Hydro-gear transmission and squeals only when moving, there is a square hole about 1/2 by 1" in the bottom ahead of the
R.H axle. The brake discs are up in there and often get to binding or dragging, the tractor will feel dead like the transis weak. These tractors are supposed to have peneetrating oil sprayed up in this hele about twice a yr. These Steel multiple disc brakes were excellent for holding, when they got in the field after a while it was discovered that they would rust and stick. In the early days of the problem a number of transmissions were replaced before they discovered the fix was to lube the brakes, now it is recommended service on these transmission.
Next if this tractor is less than 2 years old your dealer should fix this under warranty. In our area we pick up and deliver at no charge, for warranty on units we sell. Not all dealers do this. If the dealer sold this at a fire sale price he can't afford to pick it up for free. The warranty he will be paid for. Good luck, Al

Thanks for the suggestions. Here's what I found upon further investigation: The squeaking stops as the brake pedal is being pushed down; it doesn't have to be locked. I was able to lock the pedal down, and the idler pulleys seem to spin freely. There was no noticeable marking on the belt. I think this is a '99, and the squealing occurs even when the tractor is not moving, so I don't think your third point (about the brakes) applies. I'm stumped.....

• 2 weeks later...
Have the dealer take a look then - it has a two year warranty. He will probably have to take off the mower and look underneath while it is running as he applies the clutch to see where the source is. It is possible a stick or small branch could have jumped up into the belt system and caused something to get out of kilter or perhaps a stone got lodged against a pulley and is rubbing. If you can, remove the deck and have a closer look under there. It is not hard and you should learn how to do it for the future anyway.

One other suggestion to look for: take a look underneith for a spring that might be rubbing on a pulley or shaft. Sometimes tension springs can get out of proper position and rub, makes a hell of a racket! I'm not intimately familiar with your machine, so there might not even be a spring anywhere near the moving parts, but a suggestion anyway.