Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
EZDUZIT

Bevl Box Lube"s ???? Please

EZDUZIT
Hi Guys, I have heard a lot of suggestions for oil for the bevel box on my 1970 3212V,from 85 to 140 gear oil to synthetics of a lighter weight,85 90 I think. Can I please get your input as to what has been good to you,I beleive the book says 90 weight ,if thats so is there such a thing as "straight weight" and S A E ??? Thanks for being here. I appreciate the help I get. Pete

argz
I use 90 weight Bel-Ray Gear Saver Hypoid Gear oil in my Big-10 bevel gear box and 3 speed trans. It's kinda pricey at about $6.00 a quart, but it makes old motorcycles shift real nice and I haven't had any problems in the tractor with it. I only suggest if you do use it or any other synthetic to let the old stuff drain out as thoroughly as possible as it is believed that synthetics don't mix well with non-synthetics.