Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
PeppyDan

Snowblower angle adjustment

PeppyDan
I recently picked up a 36" snowblower along with a B-10. After getting it all home and inspecting the blower closer I noticed the mounting hitch appears to be the same as a dozer blade, complete with holes to angle the blower to the left or right. The blower has three belts in a very unique arangement which also appear to be able to drive at any of the three postions. Can this blower be used at an angle, and if so why, or did AC just adapt the front hitch from blade to make the early snowblowers mount without engineering a special hitch.

PeppyDan
Thanks Dutch, it appears as if this unit would be for a B1. I didn't find anything about angle capablities. Is this a better system for durability of belts than the newer single belt system for the B series. I had the single belt system a couple of years ago and felt it wore belts very fast. I don't plan on using this blower on a regular basis, only to play with after my 2 stage blower on my Sunstar does the major removal. Thanks again for the help.

Dutch
Dan, I was hoping one of the other members would respond because I have no personal experience with the 3 belt snowthrower. That said, I don't think much of having to get off a tractor to disengage any implement. As for belt longevity / problems, I would suspect the chances are 3 times greater than with a 1 belt snowthrower.

thedaddycat
I took a closer look at my three belt blower. While the hitch looks like it is basically the same as the plow hitch, if you angled the blower you would also change the angle of the drive belt between the front PTO idler pulley and the rest of the blower. I don't think it would work too well, looks like the belt between idler and intermediate shaft would have too much twist one way, intermediate to final the other way. Besides, the chute can be angled to direct the snow to either side. The only thing angling the blower would do is make it effectively narrower.

PeppyDan
Thanks Dutch & thedaddycat, that was my general feelings about the blower but I just wanted a couple of other opinions to confirm my own. It looks like it will go into the for sale adds soon.

thedaddycat
I took this pic of a hitch for a 42" plow next to the hitch for my three belt blower. While they are basicaly the same, the blower hitch is shorter in length. This blower came on a Simplicity 725, so it's about 40 years old. I just wanted you all to be aware that they are not exactly the same. Could one be made to work with a blower? Probably......

thedaddycat
You're too flattering, I'm a rank amature next to guys like Dutch, Sam, Maynard and others here. I don't have a loader, vac system, EZ Rake, sweepster, revitalizer, log saw, sprayer, no Pow'rMax size tractors..... oh well, Christmas is coming!!!

UCD
I only have one tractor my 7790. One snowplow, one grader blade, two snow blowers,(one new, one junk for parts) one lawn cart, one chipper shredder and a revitalizer I haven't picked up yet. Oh my wife has a 1/7th share in a 1952 Farmall M and a 1937 John Deere unstyled B that belonged to her farther. I get to work on them as her three brothers are not mechanically inclined. Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD