Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Haban sickle mower mount

sask

I hope someone can help me with this one. I recently picked up a Haban 403 sickle mower at an auction. They listed it as fitting a Case, but from what I can tell it must have been made for the MF10 or MF12 tractors (the front gear box bolts directly to the MF12 I have, and the bolt, belt and clutch spacing fit perfectly for it; I still need to find one for a B-10). My problem is that I appear to be missing some hardware to mount it. I want to make my own mounting hardware, but was hoping someone here could tell me how many mounting points this style of mower usually has on the tractor frame. From what I can gather in looking at the Haban manual on this site, and photos of the old 406 mowers made for John Deeres, the mower has a double mount near the front of the tractor, and single chain or bracket at the middle of the rear end of the mower (or a long bar that attaches the mower to the rear hitch). Is this correct? For the front mounts, are they attached to the tractor front axle on the older Simplicity mowers, since they seem to line up precisely with it on the MF12? For the rear mount, is it fixed or does one attach it to the tractor lift mechanism? If it is a single mount point at the mower rear, doesn't the mower flop around a lot? Any help is appreciated. Maybe a few good photos of mounts? Thanks, Pat

Pat, I'm not sure I understand what make or model tractor you're trying to mount the sickle on. Anyway, on Simplicity Large Frame Tractors the front of the sickle mower is mounted exactly were the rotary mower deck is mounted (2 points on rear of front axle). The rear of the sickle is suspended at one point by a chain. The sickle bar is raised and lower by a seperate handle, or by a cable attached to the right lever of the lift lever cross shaft.

Thanks Dutch. I am mounting the sickle mower on my MF12, since it will require the least fabrication on my part. But since this is an extremely rare implement for the Massey garden tractors, it has been impossible to find any literature on it, so I have been trying to combine information from JD and Simplicity mowers and apply it to this mower. From the information you gave, it looks like my guess on where the sickle mower mounts to the frame is probably correct. Now all I have to do is make a mount to bolt to the front axle. Funny thing is that I always wondered why there are two heavy bolts sticking out under the front axle on the MF12 tractors since none of the implements I owned previously attach there. Now I know. With the single chain at the rear of the sickle mower, does it not bounce and flop around a bit? Pat

Pat,
quote:
Originally posted by sask: With the single chain at the rear of the sickle mower, does it not bounce and flop around a bit?
Yes and no. The chain permits the sickle to "float". If the sickle was bolted solid and it hit a high spot, either the tractor would raise or something would bend or break. Haven't had any "bouncing" on mine.

Pat, The entire drive mechanism hangs under the tractor, suspended from the front-axle hitch points and the chain, while the cutter bar slides on skid shoes -- another example of Simplicity's "floating deck" designs. This allows the mower to follow the front axle without regard to the position of the tractor's frame. Have you seen these pics/instructions from the Allis owner's manual... http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/sickle_bar/sb_page_5.htm As far as bouncing -- you have to go sloooooowwwww when you use a sicklebar anyway, or it'll self-destruct, breaking the cutter bar, pittman arm or some part of that mechanism.... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

I have a Haban 401 P, along with the owners manual and a blueprint too. I would post pics but since the site moved to the new server the pics don't upload, it comes back "Save Failed" every time. If you want I could try to e-mail you the pics directly.

Here are the pics of the Haban 401. The manual says it will cut through a 135 degree arc, from about 45 degrees below horizontal to "near vertical". It even suggests usefulness as a hedge trimmer. Front view, the white plate attaches to the tractor. I left the bar on the ground and lifted the mount into the transport position for this right side view. The drive belt attaches to the front pulley. I may try to adapt this to the 3310 and power it from an extra pulley attached to the left end of the center PTO, which would be located at about the rear of the mower. View from the back end. The whole thing pivots up and down from the input pulley shaft below the white frame plate and the cross tube in front of the double pulleys at the left rear. This allows the mower to "float" along the ground, suspended by the chain. Right side of the mount and the mower drive assembly. The bar, notice that the teeth are much larger than those on the Simplicity sickle bar mower.