Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big Burly Bulldozer

UCD

Kent,
quote:
“What kind of garden tractor does a big, burly bulldozer driver drive? We can’t speak for all of them. But we know one who drives an Allis-Chalmers lawn and garden tractor.”
That’s an Allis-Chalmers promotional ad. They answered their own question….. they know one guy! Seems to me if they knew more than one, they would have bragged about all of them. Did you notice that the guy in the photo is NOT driving that little tractor? He’s not even sitting on it! From his “body language” (hand on hip, foot on tire, non-smiling expression), it appears to me that he’s refusing! Looks like he could be saying, “Hey……. Were’s the running boards? I'll get muscle cramps!” Of course that’s only speculation on my part…….. BUT……… Running Boards were installed shortly after that photo was taken.

Kent, The next Allis-Chalmers promotional ad stated:
quote:
Building big ones has made our small ones better
Featuring…..
quote:
FULL-LENGTH FOOTRESTS . . . no more muscle cramps from stirrup-sized footrests. You can stretch out or sit upright to suit your mood or manner. Open, non-skid surfaces are easy to clean.
Installed the running boards, and the guy’s driving it.

The bulldozer and backhoe in the background are AC. It appears that the backhoe is a D-17 tractor, which was one of AC's most popular and, in some people's opinion, best farm tractor. You can still find many of these in use today. AC built a lot of industrial equipment and later merged or bought the well know Fiat line to form Fiat-Allis, which I think is still in existance. DaveM

Dutch, I see... but that's not a BIG, BURLY guy -- he looks more like a wimp like me.... BTW, I heard we need to ask Dennis McGill about the value of NOT having running boards.... I understand he recently demonstrated the accident-saving, foot-dragging technique that some of us appreciate.... Kent The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Refer here to see the true value many of us put on running boards. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2064273186 LOL Dan

LOL ,, $1.00 starting bid. And what do you know no bids. What do you think Dutch? You might need another pair just in case yours wear out on the sides from putting your feet down around them for the grader blade.

• 2 weeks later...