Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MikeES

716 Blowing oil

MikeES
My friend has a 716 (Kohler) that is blowing oil out past the head fins. It is making a real mess. He suspects that the crankshaft seal is leaking at the flywheel end. I have never heard of this and suspect it is something else. Head gasket? He says it does not act like a leaking head gasket. I have seen the tractor (I have not heard it run) and it had oil on the head and on the front grill. Breather? Could this be plugged or leaking oil that is drawn into the flywheel fan? He only uses it for snowblowing, so does not get a lot of hours. So he does not have a handle on oil consumption. Anybody got any ideas? Before he pulls the engine and flywheel. Thanks, Mike S. Good Luck! Mike S.

jlasater
Sounds like he needs to disconnect the drive shaft, pull the shroud, and find out if it's really coming from behind the flywheel. I would imagine it is being as how the Kohler engine on that tractor (I have a 716H myself) doesn't have overhead valves. If it's leaking, the flywheel and it's fan fins will make a right mess with the oil and dirt.