Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Slow cranking 7116H

dlsven

When I turn the key to start my tractor there is hesitation before the engine will turn over. If the battery is fully charged the engine will turn over faster after it once turns over. If the battery is a little low on charge the engine will turn over only once and then I'll have to turn the key off and back on and get one more revolution of the engine. I then have to jump it to start it. The battery was new last spring and I was always able to start the tractor until a couple of weeks ago but even when it was new it hesitated one the first revolution. Does this sound like a starter problem? Thanks.

Sounds like the starter to me. Check and clean all the connections related to the starter circuit though to be sure. Once the engine is spinning, the starter has a much easier job and would spin faster.

Probably the starter, but could also be the compression release is malfunctioning, gas in cylinder (hydro lock), carbon buildup, ignition timing.

I agree with the "starter" theory (I am assuming it is a Kohler). The windings get a flat/worn spots on them and it can drain a battery very quick. Sometimes a boost will give it enough umph to turn over but that will eventually not work anymore. If it is something else, please share it with all of us.

I forgot to add: Take the starter to a starter/alternator/generator rebuilder and let them test it. Auto part stores can do it also but the operator is not always proficient.

My 3410 with the starter/generator would do that.Hit the key,and sometimes it would be 2-3 seconds before it would crank.I just figured it was the nature of the beast. kenny L

Did you try bypassing the solenoid? You can jump across from one side to the other with a jumper cable. Don't touch the cable to the solenoid studs like a wimp. If the battery has a full charge and the starter spins right up the problem is elsewhere. Without the key on, the engine will not start. If the key is on, make sure the transmission is in neutral.

I also have a 7116h and i have the same proublem. So when i was lookin over my wiring and starter i found out that the top wire that goes to my starter is extremely loose and i think that is my proublem. So what i was woundering is is there some way to rig it so that i dont have to buy a new starter. I all ready epoxied where the wire goes into and that seemed not to help me at all because like with in a week of use it just fell all out and then it was back to where i started. So im guessing that i should proubably just go out and buy a new starter but what should i do i have 3 little questions: 1.) should i buy a new starter if i need one and then end up paying like twise the price as an used one. 2.) or should i shop around for a used one so that it doesnt burn a whole through my pocket. 3.) also i was woundering how much a new one would cost

I always stick with a good "rebuilder" for quality and price. If you buy used, you may get into the same situation relatively soon. On the starter/generator, check the tightness of the belt. Sounds like it may be slipping for a few seconds before catching and turning the engine over.

The key switch is wired to the solenoid with the smaller wires you see on the solenoid not to the starter. If the key switch is corroded internally or your connections from the switch to the connections on the solenoid are corroded the extra resistance will cause this symptom. You can also attach the negative post on the battery to the chassis or to the engine block using your jumper cable in case you ground wire is corroded. You could even clamp the negative cable directly to the generator mounting. If you want to completely bypass all components attach your jumper cable to the positive terminal on the battery directly. Touch the other end of the jumper cable to the solenoid stud on the side where the starter is attached. If it turns over normally your starter is OK.

As preventive maintenance, I decided to have mine checked out by the local auto electric. It cost me about $25 to have them replace the bearings and brushes. The output was a little low but my only load other than the starter is the electric lift. Most shops will test them free then tell you what's up with it. I decided to live with the low output rather than spent $100 or so to have it rewound.

Hey Guys, I assumed Dennis' 7116H did not have a Starter/Generator. I also assumed it has a Briggs engine. Maybe Dennis will post some more info.

If you suspect an engine problem such as the compression release, buildup or timing try the starter with the spark plug removed. If it still hesitates it's not the engine. Narrows it down to the starter and/or wiring... Steve

I sure left out some basic information. It is a 16 HP Briggs & Stratton engine. I really appreciate all of the responses and advice. I'll try some of things that were suggested and let you know if I isolate the problem. Again, thanks to all that responded. This is a great tractor site!

Hi Dennis, If you figure your problem out, please let us know what you found. I am having the same problem with my tractor. I haven't investigated yet, but probably will soon. Thank you, John Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.