Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Cheap_Dave

winters coming

Cheap_Dave
this is slightly off topic but true a few years back in the middle of a good snowfall i heard my neighbor swearing at his old snow thrower, nothing special an old jacobsen 6 hp single stage, he was cursing it up and down I went over to see if i could help, he said take it its yours i must have pulled the cord a hundred times it still wont start. I asked if he checked the plug, yep, gas, yep any safety stuff engaged nope take it- take it -take it !!! Im buying a new one and off he went to home depot... So i roll it into the shop and check spark (hot blue), Oil... plenty, put some gas in it, pulled it once and it started (ran nice). moved some snow on the driveway worked great. Neighbor arrives with a new snow blower from home depot.. Went over to start it a few days later (im a fanatic when i hear snow is on the way all my snow moving equipment has to run, the primary stuff and the backup stuff and the stuff in case the back up stuff breaks too ( 3 quarter backs in the NFL, 3 snow blowers in my garage, theres a reason)). The darn thing would'nt start Pull and pull and pull and pull and huff and puff and huff and puff and swear and curse. what the ... this thing ran last week, so before giving up completely (that mweans calling my big brother to ask for advise and then getting him to fix it for me) I sat down across from it and did some thinkin (and catch my breath from all that cursing) and what did i see .... THE GAS TANK WAS LOWER THAN THE CARB!!!!! (doh) My eyes just about fell out of my head, i couldn't beleive it... i had to put a level on it just to make sure .... YEP .... it was true .... This thing was pulled arm muscles just waiting to happen ( i still don't think my neighbior has ever recovered from it) well a few hous later and a few new washer shims and a longer drive belt I found i could get almost 3/4 of a tank of fuel use before it ran out (could have just raised the tank but that would have been too easy so i raised the back half of the engine instead (doh). to this day i still wonder how many cases of muscle rub were sold due to this thing.... maybe it's a conspiricy from the muscle rub manufacturers trying to sell more product.... The moral of the story .... sometimes it pays to just sit back and catch your breath.............Ahhhh catching my breath ....zzzzz. Dave ,

Dadsy98
Dave, I had a similar situation years ago. My neighbors were trained auto mechanics. They had just replaced an engine in a Galaxy 500. All afternoon they were in the backyard working on it - it ran horrible, backfiring, missing etc. I wandered over about the time they decided to take a supper break. We talked for a bit, they told what they had done. Then as they left I just leaned on the fender and looked at the engine. Everything looked okay, after all these guys had formal training on this stuff. I checked the distributor, the wiring, I followed a wire from the cap tower to a plug. Solid. next wire, it went to the next plug in line, and so on. These bright boys had the plugs firing in order 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. I switched it back to right and tried the key. the engine fired right up and purred. The guys came running out of the house and asked what I did. I said nothing. Never did tell them. Steve

upstatemike
I seem to see that type of stuff everyday. lots of folks seem to over complicate or over diagnose the problem, when the "basics" are often overlooked. Lots of times they'll end up making me look like a genius. Funny the way it works...<'///>< MJD

HubbardRA
Got one with a run-out-of-gas problem now. B/S updraft carb sat below the tank. The current Kohler sidedraft carb runs out of fuel with 2 inches left in the tank. I'm going to have to raise the tank or install a fuel pump. Rod H.