Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Dadsy98

2110 drive shaft - Arggg !

Dadsy98
Recently there was a discussion concerning the driveshaft coupling to the engine and BGB. I decided to check my 2110 since I had pulled and re-installed the engine a week ago. The fiberglass disk was not straight and true. Sooo... I guess I gotta dismantle the whole tractor to do it right. I know tommorrow will be shot with this as my main activity. Does anybody have any hints, suggestions ? any pitfalls to watch out for? This will be a first time for me. Steve

thedaddycat
Loosen the motor mounts and BGB yoke set screw first, see if you can adjust the alignment of the shaft and flex discs the easy way. You should check the manual to be sure of the right way and any special precautions, like putting the washers rounded side down as mentioned in the other post.

Dadsy98
When I checked the driveshaft this afternoon I was concerned about the washers. I didn't realize the washers are a bellville type when I re-installed the engine. I was lucky with the washers - had them right. I saw a problem with the flex disk though. Kent had mentioned earlier that to get to the BGB yoke set screw the whole top half of the tractor has to be removed- steering wheel and shaft, tank, battery, dash, etc. sounds like a chore..... Steve

Dadsy98
...Great minds think alike !! yes, I'm going to see if I can provide an access hole, or at least a shortcut. 'Course I'll still have to dismantle the top to locate the set screw location in relationship to the sheet metal... Steve

BillC
On my Simplicity 725 there is a 3/4" hole in the bottom of the frame to access the set screw for the driveshaft to bevel gearbox input shaft coupler. The center of the hole is located 1-5/8" forward of the frame to bevel gearbox mounting face.