Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

CHUTE Q

Terry9

Anyone have suggestions in prepping a blower for the winter? My biggest problem last year was snow getting bound up in the chute. I'm going to sand and repaint the chute area. Anyone recommend car wax, etc after that? I've also heard spraying with silicone or vegetable oil spray. I tried using Pam last year, didn't work too well. Maybe I need to teflon coat the chute? Thanks in advance, Terry

I never had any luck with cooking spray either, altough some people swear by it. All it did for me was to make the blower look bad. I used a wire brush on my hand grinder, then repainted. My best luck has been to adjust the deflector closer to vertical. Never tried silicone spray.

This is from a message sent to me from Clarence. He sells his kits on Ebay. It will make your snowblower work. Give back the PAM to your wives. Woody, Most of the older snowblowers and some of the newer ones have a gap between the impeller blades and the housing ¼" to ½" this is mainly used to allow objects to pass through and also to keep the blades from freezing to the housing. Some of these gaps are enlarged by wear or just a poor design (too large). This kit will work on most dual stage snowblowers and on some of the larger single stage snowblowers, it consists of rubber paddles that bolt on to the impeller blades therefore sealing between the blades and the housing. If the snow slips past the impeller blades it has time to accumulate and then tries to discharge it in large amounts resulting in a plugged chute or poor discharge. By creating this seal all the snow Is discharged and nothing accumulates in the housing, the snow is discharged evenly resulting in it being broken up, and also increases the leverage by lengthening the impeller blade. If you need more info please contact me again. Thank You Clarence Follow the link to current item for sale. IMPROVE YOUR SNOWBLOWER GUARANTEED [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2064528446[/url]

I coated the inside of my snowblower chutes with spray-on rubberized coating. I've done this on my Simplicity as well as an old Jacobson walk behind I have. It seems to help a lot. Note, though, that here in Colorado our snow is drier and doesn't pack in as much as what falls farther east.

Thanks Les, JD. Woody, I'll check that out. Nothing worse than the chute getting clogged and having to get off the tractor! Terry

Also.......I've wirebrushed and primed and repainted the chute, and also some rust pockets i found. Used the Simplicity Orange paint that I got from Chad Barron last year............a perfect match.......highly recommended. Terry