Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

42' snow-blower question

roma3112

hi all had 2 quick questions for the masses, i am in the process of going through my 42 blower before snow hits us here in boston, and i noticed that the chain that drives the auger has alot of slop in it, i measured the slack and its not quite enough to remove 1 link and fix it. Is there such a thing as a 1/2 link to tighten things up or should i replace the chain. The second question (one which has been asked i think) is what do you all reccomend putting in the chute to help prevent clogs. I have the whole thing painted nice and smooth, would you guys reccomend any kind of spray or chemical to help keep the snow blowing? thanks john

I assume that you have already used the complete adjustment range available on the sliding rear drive gear. If the chain has stretched that much, you should probably replace the whole chain. An ag/farm supply store should be able to provide you with bulk #40 chain and repair links (both full and half). The chain comes in 10 feet lengths (about $10-12 the last time I got some). A selection of links would be something like $5. Carl

John I have worn out four blowers and have never really had a chain stretch much. The biggest reason for slop in the chain is worn sprockets and loose auger bearings. You do not want to run this chain to tight as it will wear the spockets faster and put unnecessary side pressure on the auger bearings. The adjustment for the chain is in the mounting bolts for the cross shaft from the drivebelt pulley to the small chain sprocket. Loosen the two bolts in each end and slide back an equal amount making sure the sprocket is running square and true, with about 1/4" of slack or droop in the top side of the chain. Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

thanks carl/ucd Actually i had no idea there was an adjustment for the lower chain sproket, i just replaced the auger bearings yesterday and i noticed all the slop, so much so that it has pur a grove 1/2 way through the stud for the chain cover. I will head out later on and try that adjustment. thanks all

Where did you get a 42'(foot) snowblower??? and here I thought the other one from the airport was big..... lol

hi all Well thanks for the heads up on the adjustment of the chain, it did the trick :) There is somthing to be said about the engineering on these things, when you least expect it>> poof you find some neat little trick ps. may not be 42' but i almost want some snow to test this thing out

John, one question that was not answered. What to put on your chute, to keep it slippery? Cooking spray seems to be ticket. Good Luck! Mike S.

well mike to answer your ? about my ? i havent figured that out yet. I am toying with the idea of making my own ruberised impeller inserts as the post above illustrates. i am just trying to figure out where to find the rubber LOL i thought i had some old mud flaps but i must of thrown them away :( any suggestions ? :)

I have an 80" blower that I use on the back off my Farmall 460 tractor. As far as the chute I haven't found anything that last for keeping snow from sticking. But for the impellers I bolted a piece of 3/16" thick teflon. It's a bit expensive but for something as small as snowblower props it isn't too bad. Check with a machine shop or industrial supply store. Works good for me Stan