Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC B10 engine to frame mounting questions

DavidG

On an early b10 I am trying to re-assemble, there is a special bolt attached to a small plate , that is used for mounting the left rear hole of the engine to the frame. There is another similar plate that one of the regular engine mounting bolts goes thru, and it also attaches to the motor. This plate has a lip on it , and it's about 1 x1.5 " . Where is it supposed to go, and what is it's purpose? It looks like I can mount the motor ok without it. Also... Is there a procedure for aligning the engine in the frame. I notice that there is some slop , and it can be shifted around quite a bit. Thanks

On mine that bolt goes in the front left corner, it might be tough to get to it otherwise. If the plate your refering to has 2 holes on one side and 1 on the other, that's the bottom bracket for the front shell. It bolts up in front of the engine with the one hole up and forward. If you want, I can get a pic when it's daylight. When I put the engine back in, I just lined up the wear marks on the frame with the engine base. Alan

The bolt on mine in the rear left hole for engine mount was a regular hex head with no nut it fell off. For this one I tack welded another bolt across the top and dropped it in when I could get to it. Tightened up the nut, the cross bolt welded on kept the bolt from turning. ScottS

My 61 Wards had one bolt with a small angle plate welded to it. I forget which hole it went into, but the plate kept the bolt from turning, and there was one bolt that you couldn't get a wrench on to the top of. That is why the bolt was made this way. Rod H.

Unless I'm mistaken, the bolt with the plate on the end goes on the right rear, facing the engine.... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

David, The parts list shows the 3/8 X 2" bolt with the plate welded to it. It goes in the left rear position (ref sitting on the seat). The other plate piece you reference is an axel stop and goes in the right front hole on the bottom. I think it was used to limit the right side of the axel from going too high and damaging the steering link or some other front end component? Tom(PK)

Tom, Thanks for confirming the location of the bolt with a plate on the end -- that's where I thought it went. Only one of my tractors has one... the other one has a standard bolt -- which was a real pain. Kent The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Hey Guys, Thanks for the help. It's good to know there are some people in the know out there. Any hints on aligning the engine in the frame ? Dave