Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
country

New to AC and website

country
I recently acquired an AC 917H. It's in good condition, except for the steering wheel. I need a new one. I have browsed through the "what fit's" section, and it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me yet. Can anyone offer some help as to find out what attachments will fit a 917H? Also, it came with a pulley to shaft drive system that mounts on the rear of the tractor. I can't remember the entire number but it ends in 195. What may this be for? Thanks in advance for the help.

Dutch
I think you posted this before, but it was lost when this board crashed. Anyway, you have a real good tractor. It is part of the Simplicity "Large Frame Garden Tractor" family. Various models of that family were made for about 40 years. Many attachments are available. Here's a partial list > http://www.simpletractors.com/Main/b_attachments.htm In your first post I think you stated you had a #1690159. That's a 540 PTO. Here's a manual > http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_200_2964_00_XX_SMA.pdf

country
Thanks, I now know I have a 540pto setup. From the other link for the B series, it looks as though this can be used to operate small elevators, etc., that one would ordinarily use a regular tractor with 540rpm power take off. This thing is pretty neat, but I don't know that I have a use for it. Is this model tractor easy to find attachments for? What is the used market like? Are blades, snowblowers, etc. easily availabe used? I guess I need to find out a little more what will fit from older models so I can determine these things.

Kent
Virtually every attachment from the old tractors that were the same size will fit, except those made for the AC-unique 300 & 400 series, but may require different pulleys/hitches. The smaller tractors (Broadmoor and Allis B-206/207/208 and Homesteader) used totally different attachment hitches and drives. The oldest tractors used a pulley off the front end of the engine's crankshaft for front attachments, like snowblowers. This evolved to an electric clutch, before they eventually used the center PTO drive and an interim set of brackets/pulleys. The oldest tractors used an idler pulley clutch and "hanging center PTO" before this evolved to the cone clutch with dual pulleys like your 917 has for the center PTO. The oldest tractors used a separate "tiller drive" that performed the "gear reduction" needed for tillers. The B-210/212 (and Simplicity 3210/3212) and later tillers didn't use that tiller drive -- they'll work fine on your tractor -- with the needed idler to provide belt clearance at the hydro filter. In summary, old tillers and other belt-driven rear attachments are easy to fit -- you'll just need a set of idlers that keeps the belt away from your hydro filter. Otherwise, the attachment may have an unnecessary clutch setup but will still work, since your cone clutch works at the PTO. Front belt-driven attachments like snowblowers may be a bit more complicated, based upon what tractor/PTO the attachment was intended for. It may require the interim subframe/pulleys to drive it off your center PTO. Center-driven PTO attachments (mower deck, sicklebar) MAY require that you change pulley sizes on the implement to drive them from your center PTO. If it is not belt-driven, like a snow/dozer blade, grader blade, dethatcher, cart, etc. it will work fine with no modifications needed... All 900-series Allis or 7100-series Simplicity belt-powered attachments should also fit perfectly, without any modification necessary.... Check the want ads, here and locally. There's lots of attachments available. Avoid those for 300/400 series Allis -- they may be unique and wouldn't fit without too much work. Wow -- it's difficult to summarize a 40-plus-page cross-reference manual in just a few paragraphs! The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...