Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Half Dozen Simplicity tractors

thedaddycat

I picked up Number Six tonight(does that mean I'm addicted yet?), the 2012 from e-Bay. Here are a few pics... Hey Maynard, what size belt does this one take??? lol It may not be on right but the belt stops are there. The frame has been welded on, stiffening plates perhaps? Notice the rope cup and extra pulley on the BGB? Hmm...... first thought to cross my mind was live hydraulics pump drive. Any thoughts or opinions on that one? The shroud has been cut in half. My guess is someone didn't want to pull the engine to get the flywheel off, but that's purely speculation...... Except for the ball on the end of the engagement lever, the center PTO seems to be entirely there, including belt stops and pulley guard. The center PTO tensioning spring and lever are there, and it has the rear lift group. The whole thing needs a good cleaning, it's up to the lift shaft in gunk. It has potential, I think......

Hi Kirk, The extra pully on the right side of the BGB is used to operate the mobile generator. It should be a cast pully mounted with two bolts thru the slip clutch. This is the smaller 1500 Watt generator offered prior to the 5000 Watt one that was powered off the left side of the BGB. Dan

Thanks for the info Dan. I had wondered if it was someone's home project to add a rope starter or something like that. I guess I'll have to start looking for a generator now.... lol

I think several of the implements on the early tractors could/would drive from the right side of the bevel gear box, including the leaf vacs (one I had would drive from either side), the earliest tillers (unless I'm mistaken), the generator, etc. These required a clutching mechanism on the implement itself, or it would be running all the time.... I've have one of these add-on cast iron pulleys (new, original stock) if anyone really needs one. I haven't found a need for it yet. What surprises me is that they left on the original slotted cup for the manual start rope when they added the additional pulley. The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

I dunno about this one being such a great "find", Kirk. She looks pretty roached out and weather beaten. It might give you a better return on investment as a parts tractor. (IMHO) Tom(PK)

Looks good to me. I've purchased worse. Got two of them. Both came in boxes, and this was before I had access to this site. Some fun work and puzzle solving. At least this one has not had a battery blow up and dump acid all over the frame like my AC716H. Much rust and extreme pitting, no mower, no mower hookups, no lift mechanisms of any kind, a 4-inch channel iron bumper bolted to the front, rear wheels of different widths and offsets with different type tires, front tires worn completely out, carb and gas tank missing, yet it is now a great tractor. It is the challenge that makes restoration fun. Rod H.

In the light of day this is what I found....... Bear in mind that I got this one as a source of parts to put together the 9 HP Landlord (at least it came with a 9 HP AC yellow engine). Now I may go the other way, using Landlord parts on this one. Though the left side panel is missing, that sure looks like a cable lift assembly and chain bracket for a sickle bar mower . The pads are still on the..... well they're too long to be foot pegs but sure aren't long enough to be called running boards, I'll let Kent and Dutch hash this one out..... lol Anyhow the pads are still there. What do we have here? Looks like the drive pulley for a hydraulic lift pump. Hmmm..... Seems to be a fairly early one, Serial Number 001081 Here's the frame of the Landlord I was going to put back together. I'll use this instead of the welded on one. Does anyone have the right dash in better shape to swap for the black one with the silver decal? The Landlord grill looks like it will fit just fine. I'll have to see how well this one cleans up. I have three hoods so I'll pick the best one. I can't seem to find the engine numbers under all the paint. Can anyone tell me where to look? Since I have pretty much another whole tractor to use, and there seems to be a lot of the little things still on this one it seems like it'll be worth the effort to fix it back up rather than the other one. The engine turns over freely by hand, but I won't do anything with it until I get a chance to at least clean things up a bit.

Kent, I forgot about those early designs of the leaf blowers untill you mentioned it. I remember seeing one, they had a scary long belt set up that used the right pully, like you said. I do not recall a tiller that used the right side. Kirk, If I remember right, the ID numbers on the 9 hp's were on an aluminum plate that was rivited onto a metal sheild. The sheild wraps around the front top of the motor covering the cylinder fins. I think its a model 23D. Dan

quote:
Originally posted by powerking_one: She looks pretty roached out and weather beaten.
Wasn't that how Sophia Loren was described when she was discovered?

I have the plate on the 9 HP engine, I was looking for the one on the 12 HP Briggs from this 2012 that is coming apart before your eyes.... lol I think I'll put this in when it goes back together. I took the nut off the bottom of the steering shaft and the bolts for the dash and bracket assembly then lifted it all off. As a friend of mine would say, "The critters got it all Fausted up" It was easiest to just scrape it loose and roll the tractor over to dump it all out. The pile is in the background. A little quality time with the Greased Lightning cleaner, a scrub brush and the hose yields nice results. What do you think now?

Kirk, The numbers of your engine should be stamped into the side of the blower housing. Lower part of the engine, on the side opposite the starter/generator. Are you coming out to MN anytime soon? I have a few tractors that need cleaning. Pat

Thanks Pat, it's a Model 300421 Type 0120 01 Code 6611171 I know it's a couple days early but I have to show you this tractor's costume. It's going as Frankenstein..... lol

Kirk, I think you ought to start thinking about what I'm starting to think about and make some room in that garage. See those leaves on the ground? Snow is next.........

Wow, Kirk what a difference a day and a can of degreaser can make. I wish that I had bid more on it now. I think that for the price you did well. Is that a mouse exercise wheel or a variable drive pulley? Sorry had to throw that out there..... Hey isn't that pic of Sohpia about the same vintage as the 2012? Btw I just posted (last night) on tractor addiction timing is everything they say. Happy tractoring Reed S.

Sophia may be the same vintage as the 2012, but the last time I saw her in "Grumpier Old Men" she sure looked less roached out and weather beaten. Interesting note, a couple of years ago I gave away a 725 frame that was minus the engine and tranny with all the sheet metal intact to a guy named DavidinCapeCod from here............I wonder what he ever did with it. Terry

Are those torch marks on the fan housing. That guy must have been desperate. I think it would have been easier to remove the engine and pulley.

You aint even close to being hooked yet,, wait till ya have 20 some[running] like me!,,PLUS parts machs[not running] Someone got a row-tarry belt[red] on that ol gal,,stock up on blasting media,, good luck with it btw,,! have a '64 l'lord running for parts