Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 712H Broken axle

KeithM

AC 712H with a boken axle on the right side. I am not the worlds best mechanic but I do have a parts tractor to rob a replacement from. I'm not sure how to go about extracting the old axle and replacing it. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you

It might be easier to just replace the whole tranny if your spare is in good shape. I had the tranny apart on the 3310 because of a broken shifting stem and replaced it rather than fix the old one. I have the internals sitting around the garage, did you need to replacethe axle shaft or axle tube? The shaft can be removed without opening up the case but not the tube.

If your LH axle shaft is broken, easy repair. If your RH axle tuble is broken, then the transmission case has to be split. I had both an RH axle tube and a LH axle shaft keyway fail at the same time. You can do the job in one weekend. I would suggest purchasing a Simplicity large frame garden tractor repair manual and study it before starting. Make sure you purchase all new keys from a Simplicity dealer as they are special.

Remember the hydro (712H) takes a different axle tube than the gear shift tractors. The solid axle, differential, and axle hubs are all interchangable. The best way (quality repair) is to remove the whole transaxle from the tractor, and split the transaxle apart to replace the axle tube. To split the transaxle in the tractor will (in the long run) take more time and easier to make mistakes like wrecking axle seals, dropping needles from needle bearings, loosing track of spacers and washers, etc. Good Luck! Mike S.