Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cold Weather Starting

jmarkb

For the past two weeks the temperature has been in the 30's each morning. My Landlord 7010 normally starts on the first or second try. But for the past two weeks it takes several attempts to get the engine started. I have researched the archives and found that some folks recommend switching to a lighter weight oil in the winter. One member commented on using higher octane fuel (year round) to help improve ignition starting. When my engine is warm, it starts right up! The problem is just when it is cold. Does anyone have any suggestions? Mark Balding

The lighter weight oil will allow it to turn over faster. Be sure you have a good hot spark, check and gap points. A new plug can help. Make sure choke is closing completely You should be just fine with regular gas these engines don't need high test gas. Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

I was beginning to have problems starting an old Briggs 10 hp on my 3410. Then the local dealer told me that when starting a Briggs, just barely crack the throttle. Starts much better now that I know that. Also,as stated above,make sure you have fresh gas,good spark,and the choke is working and properly adjusted. kenny L

I have found that most engines start best at idle or just a little above. Very few like to start at high throttle settings. Also engine octane is related to compression ratio. With the low compression ratios of these engines they should use low octane gas. As compression increases the fuel burns faster. High octane actually is harder to ignite and burns slower unless it is compressed to higher pressures. High compression engines need high octanes to slow down the burning rate and prevent auto ignition (ping), and detonation. In cold weather, I like to use a little starting fluid to make starting easier. Lots of cranking on a cold engine tends to wear parts. The sooner it starts, the better. If you use it, don't over do the starting fluid. It can wash down the cylinder and also cause premature wear. Rod H.

The above advice is correct. That old electric blanket in the closet for when your mother-in-law visits can be put to good use as well.