Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starter Generator Direction of Turn.

HubbardRA

I just got hold of a Kohler engine that has the starter generator pulley on the output shaft instead of the flywheel. Did not get the Starter-generator unit. Can one for the flywheel drive be changed to rotate in the opposite direction for this usage? Rod H.

Never tried it, but direction should be changed by reversing the fields. BTW - I believe Cub Cadet S/Gs already turn opposite than Simplicity.

Dutch, Problem is that I didn't get the s-g unit with the engine, but have an extra flywheel type in the garage. I thought that either the fields or the brushes could be reversed. Just wondering if anyone knew the correct way before I boogered up a good unit. Going to positive ground would do it, but that brings a lot of other problems. I am looking for the easiest way, hopefully without a lot of re-design. By-the-way, this is a Cub Cadet engine that may find its way onto an AC. Rod H.

Rod, The correct way to do it is buy a set of generator field and starter coils that are wound for the opposite rotation. It will work, however, if you reverse the leads from the 2 coils (1 starter & 1 field). My B-1 generator has a field coil with the wrong polarity. I reversed the leads and it works OK. I did have to lengthen one of the field leads as I recall. Also had to make sure the leads were tied down so they would not rub the armature as it turned. Good luck,

Roy