Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

shuttle confusion

tractorfreak3

If anyone can offer any advice or explain the basic operation of the shuttle transmission, Ii might be able to get my 3410 s to go backwards.I've followed book instructions on adjustment but it just bogs the engine down when i flip the shuttle lever. this is my first post. Any Help would be much appreciated:) Email to: racefreak3@cityofbryan.net.

Welcome Tractorfreak, any relation to "Rick James"....check the following link, posted by fellow member Pat Rarick. Also, go to the "search the forums" at the top of the page and type in "shuttle"....Art The link below is from the Simplicity Tech Publications site. It is for the 3410S. It shows both types of shuttle and the adjustment procedure for both. Go to page 12 of the thumbnails, which is page 10 of the manual. [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_1352_00_SV_S.pdf [/url]

tractorfreak, welcome to the club. I will attempt to give this a shot. The large drum contains spider gears to reverse the drive direction, but only when the drum band stops the drum from turning. It also holds the outboard sheave of the main drive pulley. The inboard sheave is connected directly to the transmission input shaft. When the shuttle is in neutral - The short belt is loose, the shuttle brake band is loose, and the brake pad is tight against the inboard sheave of the main drive pulley. This allows the entire drum to turn, without putting power to the transmission. The drum is spinning on it's hub. The brake pad on the inboard sheave keeps the transmission input shaft from turning, so that you can shift without clashing gears. In forward, the short belt is tight, acting as a clutch against both pulley sheaves. The brake pad is away from the inboard sheave, and the shuttle brake band is loose. The drum is turning as in neutral, but acts as a solid pulley when the short belt is tightened. In reverse, the short belt is loose, and the brake pad is away from the inboard pulley sheave. The shuttle drum brake band is tight, which holds the drum to allow the spiders to reverse the input shaft drive. Whether or not it sounds like it, I DO know how the system works. I'm just not very good at putting into words, so I hope someone will correct or clarify anything that is not understandable. Pat

If the belts are all adjusted correct, is it possible that there is a problem with the planetary gears? I have looked at mine but I have never had it apart, can the gears be put in wrong like the differential? Just a thought. Good Luck! Mike S.

If the engine lugs down when the shuttle is placed in reverse, I would say that either the forward drive (short) belt is too tight, or there is a problem inside the drum. Most likely with the bearing inside the drum, on the input shaft. It's possible that the planetary gears are bad, but I think the bearing would be the culprit if it is a drum problem. Pat

On the shuttle tractor that I had, the advice given here was that the planetarys were bad. I parted out the tractor. Just for the heck of it, I pulled apart the planetary assembly, the gears looked as if they were in pristine condition. So I would guess that the problem is NOT the planetarys, but the adjustment of, or the condition of the mechanism parts. My best suggesstion would be to jack up the tractor and take a look at exactly what is happening when you move the lever to reverse. My guess is that the drum is not being completely stopped, and that you will have to replace parts to get it to do so. In retrospect, I concluded that since the planetary gears are used only when the tractor is in reverse, that they get very little wear and tear, so it did not make sense to me that the planetary gears could be worn out. Hopefully you have the patience to deal with repairing a shuttle. I don't. Good luck.

thanks guys i'll tear into it and see what the skinny is. let you know. i'm laid off my regular job. and i have a couple more to work on that i will br selling either for parts or as whole. anyways thanks for the help/ i will be in touch:) TIm