Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Belt hook-up for Landlord

Rickers

I aquired a 1971 Landlord from my brother, who bought it new. It had been his "back-up" tractor for some years,used mainly to pull a small trailer, and the mower deck was off--and belts and a pulley missing, etc. Anyway, I got everything cleaned and painted and back on with new belts, BUT which of the two pulleys on the PTO do I use to drive the mower??? The large or small one -- this will make a difference with blade speed, but does it matter??(I did find out what the arrow was for on the mower deck when I had the blades going the wrong way!!) And is the clutch always so "grabby" it is either in or out--nothing inbetween. Thanks

The large pulley is for the mower deck the small pulley is for the sickle mower. As far as a grabbing clutch... I'm assuming a straight 3-speed transmission. 1.) The 3-speeds had a two piece driven pulley, maybe yours is gummed up wiith no flex in the sheaves, this is needed for smooth engagement. 2.) Or you may just need a new drive belt. As belts get old, they get too flexible and can get "grabby". 3.) Maybe the belt started slipping and your bother put belt dressing on it. This would make the belt sticky and it could gum up the drive pulley. Good Luck! Mike S.

Welcome to the club Rickers.. There are a lot of well informed members here to help you with about anything on your tractor. I have used both pulley's and never knew which one to use either. Now THANKS to MikeES both of us know which is the correct one to use. David

Just a point of clarification here. I have the 3310 V Landlord (1971) and it had two pulleys on the left side of the BGB. The larger one was mounts inboard and drives the center PTO. The smaller one mounts outboard and drives the rear PTO. On the output side of the center PTO there are also two pulleys that function as described above. I wanted to make sure you got info on both sets of pulleys. Do you or your brother still have any of the front PTO linkage?

Daddycat, that is new one to me, as all of the tractors that I have had experience with the inside pulley on the BGB was an 'A' belt pulley and the outside pulley seems to be for a 'B' size belt but the pulleys have been the same size. Good Luck! Mike S.

On my 3212v the large pulley is a double it took a different type belt so we always used the small pulley it works but could use the xtra speed The mower came off from a wonderboy 700 it'sworked for 30 years.Bob

Thanks to all who have helped me. I have the belt around the larger pulley (on the right side of the PTO) so here goes. I have just finished lunch and mowing with the big tractor (AC D15) so the Simplicity will do the smaller areas around the house and barn, etc. FYI my "Bro" bought the tractor with just a snow blower, front blade, and a "revitalizer"., but he (and I) sold off all but the mower deck. Thanks again for the help.

These are the pulleys that were on the left side of the BGB when I got the 3310. They may not be what came on the tractor from the factory, but both are cast iron, not stamped steel. The inner (larger diameter) one I can't find a number on, but the smaller diameter (outboard) pulley has cast into it part number 105176. I took them off while making the support plates, then used the larger one on the 725 to power the center PTO so I could run the sickle bar and mower deck.

Hi Richard, Starting in 1971 the Landlords had running boards and tilt hoods. Yours does not, so it's an older model. Anyway, the mower deck belt does go on the larger PTO pulley.