Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

SHUTTLE CONFUSION PART 2

tractorfreak3

OK THE TRACTOR ALSO SEEMS TO ALMOST GO FORWARD IN REVERSE. AND THERE IS SLOP IN THE DRUM SO I NEED TO EXAMINE BEARINGS RIGHT?

I think your brake band on the planetary gear drum is not clamping down tight enough to hold the drum from rotating. My nickels worth. Good Luck! Mike S.

I dunno, Mike. Tim stated that the engine bogs down when the shuttle is placed in reverse. To me, this sounds like it is either trying to go both directions at once, or that the hub bearing in the drum is sticking or siezed. In either case, the brake band on the drum would have to be tight. Or am I on the wrong track? He also states that it seems to try to go forward when placed in reverse. That leads me to believe that the forward belt is too tight. Any thoughts? Tim, if the drum has play in it, I would assume that the bearings are bad, but I have seen some shuttles with a lot of play in them, that still worked. Pat

I had a chance today to examine a tractor identical to mine. the brake band was loose(unlike mine) and the clutch rod linkage did not have that 1/8 free travel in the spring. i have noticed my drum band is worn to a groove in the center. well, tommorrow i guess its time to tear into her in depth. good thing i'm laid off right now:)

Mine has some slop in it and it used to be noisy in reverse so I just took it apart and filled it with half grease and half 90W oil as full as I could and now it's quiet. I still has a lot of slop but it works fine. It also sounds like the forward belt is not releasing. Lawrence