Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

electrical problems

mountainwayne

The 9020 that I just got seems to have an electrical problem. It would start when it wants too. The harness seems to have a short somewhere. Any ideas where I can pick up a new one? Also I am missing 1 of the pulleys and bearing assy. for my 52" snow thrower. Thanks Wayne

Have you tried calling your local Simplicity dealer or one of our sponsors like Sandy Lakes Equipment to find the parts you need. On the wiring you should trace all the wires out and check to see if they are open or shorted it could be some thing else causing it not to start. You did not say whether it turned over or what it does when it won't start. That's like calling the doctor and saying I have an ache whets wrong with me. The guys here can be very helpful but need specifics to know what is happening. Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

If it won't turn over check the neutral safety switch on the hydro shuttle lever. sometimes mine won't start and I can "jiggle" the shuttle back and forth to find the right spot. Will it clik, turn over, give some more symptoms.

I've checked out the neutral switch and it is ok. I get nothing when I turn on the key . For now I bypassed the switches until I can get some more time and parts. I also found out that the fuel pump is leaking gas into the crankcase. I understand this can happen. I had gas in the oil when I drained it today. Thank for the welcome. Wayne

Wayne, It could also be your key switch. My 7116 wouldn't start after I shut it down to talk with a neighbor last summer. After trying several things including charging the battery, I pulled the key switch out and noticed the terminals were corroded. I cleaned the terminals, put the key switch back in and she started right up. Haven't had a probelm with it since ! ChuckinVA

not that i can be alot of help, but a line diagram or schematic is almost a necessity when electrical trouble shooting, i am proud to be a union electrician and you are only as good as your reference materials and tools you have to work with. But remember; a"short" always involves sparks, and or flames, and smoke.(look for signs of arcing ) I have had a few safety switches that would test open or closed, but would not carry any current. And as I remeber from second year from aprenticeship: How do transformers work? By magic smoke, if you let out the magic smoke, it will not work any more. sorry, i'll be more help after i get some sleep. :)