Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

winterizing

Do you fine folks use any additives when your storing your tractors for the winter? Im thinking ill top off the tank and add some of that "stabil" paul harvey talks about............that should be good right? Doug

Stabil is a good product. Stabil stabilizes the gas so it doesn't go stale. You can also get an engine fogger. You spray it in the carb while the engine is running and it lubes the inside of the engine, The engine will stall and is set for the winter. I get mine from a Mercury Marine dealer. Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Doug, There are many things that can harm unused equipment. Bare metal rusts and oxidizes. Rubber stiffens and dries out. Grease cakes and hardens. Besides "Stabil" to keep gas fresh, I try and use my equipment year round, even if nothing more than bringing engines up to operating temperature and cycling moving parts once a month.

Doug, I use Briggs & Stratton gasoline additive(fresh start). I take out the spark plug on the tractors and add oil in the cylinder,turn engine over by hand several times and replace spark plug(I turn the engine over a few times over winter) Karl

I just start mine up and drive around the yard a couple of times about once a month. I've always got a kid around who wants to drive, regardless of weather. Hauling leaves, hauling firewood, plowing snow, always needing to move something with a tractor. With year-round usage, I have never seen a need for winterizing, especially down here in VA. Rod H.

Yup i hear ya, its just that this year im storing them up in the machine shed and i dont want to put the snow shoes on just to get up there and start them.......i will be using the 7016 all winter for snow removal.....thanks for the replies fellas. Doug

this may sound stupid but I am a believer in using Marvel Mystery oil in my fuel as a stabilizer (I had stabil go bad after 7 months). This past month I had not started my log splitter for over 2 years and it started one pull (no one was more scared than me) I planned on spending a good 4 hours of carb cleaning and part fetching but it started right up. I keep it in all my small engine fuel tanks and keep them filled (draining dries out the gaskets) even if im not going to use them for a while (even years) the fuel seems to keep fresh, i just follow the instructions on the bottle, a little goes a long way. I hate throwing gas out ... I'm Cheap you know. Cheap Dave P.S. it also cleans your valves as i had an older tiller die (death of a tiller is a sad , sad thing) I was using marvel mystery oil in the fuel, well the engine was good and before shelving it i wanted to check the head for carbon, there was none. Verry mysterious (hense the name) the head piston and valves were clean - like new. ( spooky)

Dave, Cheap Dave, thanks for the reply....I was moved, a roller coaster of emotions, scared, sad, bewildered, amazed, yet i walked away informed. Thanks again for the lunar gardening stuff. Your certainly not cheap when it comes to sharing information it makes me want to call you generous Dave. Doug

I TO AM A USER OF THAT MYSTERIOUS OIL, I HAVE SEEN GOOD RUSULTS FROM USING IT OVER THE YEARS, I ALSO TRY TO USE MY EQUIPMENT THROUGHTOUT THE YEAR EVEN IF IT IS ONLY ONCE A MONTH TO DRIVE OVER TO THE NEIGHBORS YARD. THE ONLY THINGS I STORE AWAY ARE SUCH ITEMS AS GAS HEDGE TRIMMERS WEED WACKERS ECT.