Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Getting ready for winter

Dutch

Your tractor has probably mowed grass all summer, maybe even tilled the garden. Those are gritty, filthy jobs with plenty of vibration. Now you’re going to install a snow blade or blower for the winter. How about some PM? 1) Remove the battery and clean the posts and terminals. 2) Blow out all that crud behind the dash. Wash and dry the tractor. 3) Check for loose or missing bolts, especially on engine, driveshaft, BGB, and frame (get underneath and put a wrench on it). Check keyway & gear backlash. 4) Remove engine shroud and clean cooling fins. Clean engine breather. 5) Change engine oil (& filter). Service air cleaner. 6) Check lube in BGB, transmission, and rear axle. 7) Grease front wheel bearings, steering, rear axles, all moving parts, and control cables. 8) Check all springs and linkage adjustments. 9) Check wiring and terminals. 10) Change fuel filter, check fuel lines, and adjust carb. 11) Check ignition. Install new spark plug(s). 12) Check tire pressure and belt tension.

Herb, all that and you forgot to add gas before you fire her up....... I put a little dry gas in my gas cans. As temps go up and down from night to day and back moist air can be drawn into the gas can. The moisture can condense and wind up in your tank causing much consternation. It took me a while to figure out that if I fueled up from a can that had been sitting for a while why I could be having problems after a minute or two of starting up the engine(on everything from tractors to chain saws, leaf blowers or string trimmers). A little bit of water will play havoc with your day. AND... it only seems to happen when you're in a hurry to get the job done, thanks to Mr. Murphy....

I have to agree with #3. Mainly because I was taking this Landlord apart that I got for free last spring to repaint and found all but one bolt just hand tight on the BGB and the rearend. One of the rearend bolts was approx. 1/8" out of it's hole. I could only see this after I degreased the tractor. Then I found no retainer clip holding the steering gear in the frame(and I wondered why the steering was so loose) I could pull the whole gear right out of the frame. This could be why I could wiggle the input shaft on the BGB back and forth about 3/4". And pull the output shaft right out the side without any effort. Good thing I haven't run this tractor after I got it I can't say how much I believe in PM's. Since I have spent the last 5 months trying to get a water cooled HVAC system working the way it should since the last (Engineer?) before me never did any PM's for 3 years. Kris

Printing it out now! I had plans on going through mine this weekend (I get Friday off - Veteran's Day - or first day of deer hunting season for all my co-workers) This will tell me exactly what to look at thanks!

RIMS, RIMS, RIMS! If you have the slide on type with the key in the axle shaft, pull them often and de-rust and anti-sieze them. I needed a 20 ton press to get one rim off an axle that I bought, after having to disassemble the trans to get the shaft and rim into the press.