Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Spring Project maybe???????

SmilinSam

Sam, An uncle of mine re-did an old TD6 a couple years ago, it was a real labor of love. Mostly track work and it seemed miles of hydraulic hose and line. Alot of finding and fabricating. sliders, pins, pads, seals, youve got your work cut out for you. But after all you are the rebuilder man! What is it powered with? Did you park it there or did you pull it? Good luck to ya Doug

nOW WITH THAT THING I COULD MOVE SOME SNOW DRIFTS :) I DON'T THINK THE WIFE WOULD APPRECIATE TEARIN INTO THE ASPHALT DRIVEWAY THOUGH, HMMM WONDER IF YOU COULD GET RUBBER PADS FOR THE TRACKS GOOD LUCK WITH HER

Its a Struck Mini Dozer which is still in production as the Magnatrac mini dozer 2. You used to see em in the Popular Mechanics magazine. This one is a 1975 model and it sold for about $2200 new in 75'. Now they sell for about $4500 new. I have watched used ones bring better than $2000 at local consignment auctions. Frankly I don't think they are worth all that(for something to use, but as for collectability????) and I sure didn't tie up much in this one. The papers here (I got all the original books with this one too) Say it was offered with a 7hp, 12 hp, or 16hp tecumseh engine. This one has the 16 hp overhead valve one. It runs, but either the starter or the compression release is not working as it won't hardly crank the engine with the plug screwed in. Minor as far as I'm concerned because the way its built you can mount just about any single cylinder engine in it. I have all the track fenders, hood and other parts except for the rear lift arm. It was missing. The front lift is a electric lift unit. I also got a trip bucket with the purchase and it is equipped with a rear brinly type hitch. You could also get a rear power lift as well as a multitude of attachments. It was available with either the flat smooth tracks or the cleated tracs for more traction. I was always skeptical as to what one of these was useful for , so nows my chance to see I guess. Need to get it running and have a look see at all the bearings and belts . Probably won't get to much of that till next spring now.

Sam, You lucky thing! Being an old fan of Popular Mechanics & Mechanics Illustrated, and loving machinery, I have always wanted a Struct dozer. Let us know when you get around to fixing it up.

Roy

Now that looks fun...I've always wanted a garden tractor sized crawler, but they're not cheap 'round here. Note, while I'm typing. I'm not sure how that one is built, or how heavy it was used, but on actual crawlers, the jolt from pushing a blade can do quite a number on the final drives...and I'd imagine that one's pushed quite a bit. You may want to check them, i.e., open their housings and look things over, if it isnt much trouble, or the beast's logged several hours. As for the sleeve hitch, I imagine that such an animal would pull a 2- bottom Brinly sized plow quite well...and I have no doubt you'd be easily capable of making one. Anyways...enjoy your new project!

I have a Magnatrac Junior with loader,rear lift and weight box, pallet forks, 42" blade,42" bucket and several rear mounted attachments. Three blade ripper, single blade subsoiler and rear mounted crank winch. Mine is about 6-8 years old. It has a Kohler 14HP OHV engine. It works good for plowing snow and for cleaning up areas with alot of metal that can puncture tires. I have a small skidloader and prefer to use the crawler to save my tires. They are quick and manuverable but don't push as much as older farm type crawlers. Like a JD 40C. I used to have one of those too. But they aren't anywhere as manuverable. Plus the Junior only weighs about 1000lbs with loader.

Sam, That is a COOL little machine!! Let me know if you ever sell it. I can just see it with a backhoe on it now!

Paul Kjorlie, The Norwegian

• 2 weeks later...
Sam: Nice! Sounds like you bought it right, as well. I heard of one selling last year, and I believe it went for about $2,000. Can't wait to hear how it pulls. Be fun to hook it to a Powermax and see who pulls who (whom?). Peter