Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HOW TO SURVEY 620/720

stovepipe

NEW TO CLUB.LOOKING FOR 1ST A.C.TRACTOR.THIS SITE GOT ME INTERESTED IN 620/720/616 TYPE.ANY SUGGESTION WHAT TO LOOK FOR AND LOOK OUT FOR.I WILL EQUIP WITH LOADER AND WORK TRACTOR IN FL HEAT. ANY SUGGESTION WHERE TO LOOK.WILLING TO RESTORE AND/OR REPOWER BUT HOW CAN I TELL CONDITION OF TRANS AXLE? THANKS TOM

Hi Tom! Welcome to the fray! My opinion is, you would look as though you were looking for any other machinery. The Powermax series do have their weakness’. Front spindles, Onan's, sometimes finding parts to name a few. The 'Test of Time' seems to be on it's side. Some of them now turning 30! The rest of it as mentioned above you can deal with. If I were to repower, I would probably do the Honda. Seems pretty clean. So, Your basic; Movement noises, leaks, fluid level, fluid color, does the filter(s) look 'old'. smoke, does it look well greased? etc, etc. I have found taking off the pan cover & the trans cover reveal A LOT. You'd be surprised what you may find (or looks up at you!) Where to look? local want ads, ebay, internet and Here! There are a number of them available at various amounts. Lastly, you need to decide if you need a 3 pt & rear pto. Tough to add after (not impossible, tough...). Usually the ones with out are a little less & used for mowing. Keep us posted! Hope it helps! JP

Also look under the 'Articles' section here. There is a post there about 'What to look for in a used tractor' that gives some good advice and specific things to check out on the different series of tractors. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/articles/sam_used_check.htm[/url] Rob

Tom, I spent about 6 hours on my Simplicity 4041 Tractor/Loader/Backhoe today. Basically it's the same thing as a AC620. Anyway, this is a tractor you'll really enjoy if you get one. It bridges the gap between garden tractor and Compact Utility. Things to watch for in these tractors: 1. Make sure you get the 3 point hitch, front hydraulic connections, and rear pto. If you don't, eventually you'll want them. 2. Check the engine as you would any other tractor. 3. Check the hydrostatic. With the tractor running, put the transmission gear range selector (LH below the seat) in 2nd range and with clutch released, move the hydrostatic control lever fairly quickly. The tractor should "jump" into motion quickly. If not, run the tractor in third range on level ground (you'll be moving pretty fast now) and operate one of the hydraulic lift levers. If the hydraulic lift operation affects the ground speed of the tractor, the hydro unit probably has some internal wear. Good luck! I have three of these machines and I wouldn't part with any of them. Paul

Paul Kjorlie, The Norwegian

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFORMATION. HAVING FEED BACK FROM EXPERIENCED OWNERS AND MECHANICS WILL HELP IN DECISION ON WHAT IS MINOR ISSUE AND CORRECT EASILY AND WHAT NEEDS TO BE AVOIDED.EVEN THE OBVIOUS WHEN STATED BY EXPERTS REINFORCES THE NEED TO JUST BE OBSERVANT. THANKS EVERONE,GREAT SITE TOM