Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pivot point on B-208

PatRarick

Have been curious as to the differences between the B-208 and the Broadmoor of the same vintage. Did a search and found that that the 208 uses two belts to the transmission, the sheet metal is different, and that the 208 possibly uses a different transaxle than the Broadmoor. One other thing was that the 208 pivots in the center, while the Broadmoor does not. Where and how does it pivot? Was this an advantage over the Broadmoor, or just a sales gimmick? Pat

Pat,The Broadmoor does pivot in the middle as well.I am not sure what vintage the 208 falls into but some of the older Broadmoors have 2 belts as well such as my 717.My 728 does'nt have 2 belts but it still pivots in the middle.As far as I know all the Broadmoors pivot in the middle untill they changed the design to the regent or 4211 style.I think they had 2 belts from the first one's up untill the 717. mowerman1193

Exactly how and where did they pivot? Was it a twist type pivot in the frame, instead of a pivoting front axle? That doesn't sound right, as it would throw the transmission drive belts out of adjustment. Pat

My B207 pivots in the middle and has two belts. The belt tightener for the driving belt to the transmission has a long range of motion, but I dont think the twist creates that much difference in belt length.

Paul Kjorlie, The Norwegian

The Serf pivots here, between the tranny and frame. You can see the shaft that connects the front to the rear. A grease nipple is in the middle of the center hole.

Yes the Serf and the Yoeman also pivots like this.They are the funniest feeling to drive on a bank.You sit level while the rest of the tractor is tilted. mowerman1193

Thanks everyone! I have never seen a Broadmoor or a 208, other than in pictures. I thought, from the pictures, that this is the only place that looked like it could pivot. I just thought it would throw out the belt alignment. Pat

Hi, Not all of the old style Broadmores pivot in the middle. They did when they were new and one of the toughest problems to fix is when the middle pivot seizes and rusts up due to lack of grease. When this happens the back plate that bolts to the transmission usually breaks. because there is no give. The new Regents work the same way, except the seat is mounted to the frame common to the front axle. On them only the transmission pivots. The old Broadmores and new Regents work well on side hills because of this feature. The new Regents also have a torsion bar that transfers weight when turning. The higher mounted weight of the engine etc. aren't trying to tip the back wheels. I bellieve the 707s and the smaller tractors with the 2 speed transmissions had the 2 belt drive and when the 728 etc with the 3 speed transmissions came out they were 1 belters. The 707s also had the hi-lo drive available to make them 4 spd fwd and 2 rev. We have had to remove the battery and drain the fuel tank and hang these tractors by the front bumper from the fork lift and use a torch and get the frame red hot at the pivot. Then use a sledge hammer on the front of the trans. mtg plate to get them apart when they are really rusted. When the plate is broken it is better to tip the tractor on the side and weld the plate before trying to remove it. If you don't, and try to hang it up, the trans. will bend it up worse and maybe break off. If you remove the transmission it is much harder to remove the pivot bracket. With out the weight of the transmission hanging down when you hit it with a sledge, the frame just swings around, and its like bobbing for apples. The moral here is KEEP THAT FITTING GREASED!!!!!!!! Good luck Al Eden

FRAME . . . pivots so front axle follows lawn contours and crowns. Center positioned mower attaches to front axle . . . follows axle up and over high spots without scalping or ridging. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD