Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Craftsman- Briggs interchangability

Tom_Byrne

In between fixing up the old Broadmoor, I picked up an Areins snowblower with a blown Craftsman motor (not original). My question: is a Briggs bolt mounting pattern the same as this motor? Does anyone know who made these motors for Sears? This snowblower is a beast- they don't build em like this anymore and I would like to save it. Any help is appeciated.

Most Craftsman engines were Tecumseh. Most snowblowers, regardless of make, us Tecumseh. As far as interchangeability, Briggs will interchange with Tecumseh. Pat

• 4 weeks later...
tom what do you mean by blown because if the motor is repairable it would be cheaper and better to rebuild the motor and if you are interested in sell the tecumseh i would be interested if you want you could find a hm100 which is better and stronger than the 8 horse ones this is my opinion

The Briggs & Stratton engine mounting is larger than the Tecumseh engine.The crankshaft on the Briggs & Stratton engine is one inch higher than the Tecumseh engine.I also have a Ariens snow blower,I had a 8 hp B&S engine on it for a year.You have to drill new mounting holes for the B&S engine(I welded nuts on the bottom,inside of the snow blower frame).Also need drive belts one inch longer when using a B&S engine. Karl;)